aiming circles

wish.stevie

hi is it just me or is the price for packs of aiming circles and dots pretty steep, especially once postage is added.
what id like to know does any one know how to make there own circles ie punch sets available.

thanks in advance

steven

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If you could buy the coloured sheet of sticky back paper(or is it plastic) I could see it being possible to punch your own.
I have punched holes in paper using an arrow shaft sharpened so the circular end will cut neatly. With one tube inside another you could punch a ring. However, making the circles the right size and getting them off the sticky backing would be a challenge.

philhoney

Hi,
I agree that you don't seem to get much for your money.
I punched a dot out of sticky back plastic with a leather punch and just stuck it in the centre of the lens. However when I shot with it I found I didn't like the way it covered the gold so I drew around the dot with a CD pen and removed the dot. A perfect circle and I can see the gold.
Phil

Goldenshot123

Hi guys, can you show me what these look like as I make vinyl items for archers already and might be interested in doing these.

Thanks
Paul

Goldenshot123

Can these be printed on clear or will that not be a solution ?
if so, I can print virtually anything onto a clear circle of vinyl.

Sorry if I am a bit ignorant but recurve is my thing really

Darryl

I've done some DIY printing on vinyl and polyester before. The only issue that I had was durability of the adhesive. Secondly the durability of the print from scratching. I also had issues with so called waterproof/water resistant media not being so resiliant to a wipe from a wet cloth.

Another thing you'll have to conside is that the transparent vinyl might distort or fuzz the image. The Titan lens that I have is a Hoya lens, now if you were to put a clear vinyl over the top that degraded the quality of the lens then it could be an issue to the customer.

philhoney

Hi,
I think the biggest problem would be the cutting out. If you could print and die cut it would work.
Phil

Darryl

Phil, I only know of the Titan and I think Spigarelli for Recurve sights that have a lens. Which I do believe are similar size, and as such would cut a circle to the smallest. If it was for compound then it's a different story and I'd go for the common demoniator there. Not sure what that is.

buzz lite beer

Is ?4.39 inc. postage really a lot for a set of "aiming circle"s when you are thinking of buying equipment to make them, a set of punch tools that'll cost about ?7 and a few sheets of self adhesive vinyl for ?5 and postage on both of around ?2 each (?16 in total) to make potentially just one circle if you get it right 1st time

Goldenshot123

The vinyl I use is for outdoor use and my machine thermally prints onto ( or really into ) it.
I make small labels for use on arrows and in two and a half years have had no complaints about them whatsoever - including weathering.

If one of you can PM me some dimensions etc, I could do a set for someone to try out.

philhoney

Hi,
Sorry, I have to disagree with you here. I already have punches from 1/8" to 3/4" and any bit of coloured card with some pound shop double sided tape (I have got both) will do the job, especially if you are experimenting to see what size ring or dot works best for you.
Cost ?0, time - my own.
Phil

Is ?4.39 inc. postage really a lot for a set of "aiming circle"s when you are thinking of buying equipment to make them, a set of punch tools that'll cost about ?7 and a few sheets of self adhesive vinyl for ?5 and postage on both of around ?2 each (?16 in total) to make potentially just one circle if you get it right 1st time

buzz lite beer

Hi,
Sorry, I have to disagree with you here. I already have punches from 1/8" to 3/4" and any bit of coloured card with some pound shop double sided tape (I have got both) will do the job, especially if you are experimenting to see what size ring or dot works best for you.
Cost ?0, time - my own.
Phil
No need to be sorry to disagree with me Phil, good to hear you have the tools and materials already at hand, and so no excuses for you to start churning out dots and circles aplenty at discount prices for forum members :cheerful: but as my reply was aimed squarely at the opening poster (wish.stevie) who sounds like they aren't so fortunately equipped I was pointing out costs of obtaining basic items from on-line sources.

Nock Hunter

You can always try a signwriter who makes signs with computer cut vinyl. I have had them made by a local business in all different colours and sizes at very reasonable price and they will also put on clear transfer film on the coloured side so you can easily fit them to your lens with the template you have from previous archery specific decal purchase.

While you are there you can also buy off cuts of the vinyl for arrow wraps. You can get strips of the stuff cut to the length of the wraps you want and then cut them to the width with a cheap rotor cutter from a stationery store.