Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Angel non-Delight

Soaring I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. TJ Mason's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Angel non-Delight

Is there some trick to getting Angel serving to stay in place?

I was trying Angel for my centre serving on Saturday, on an Angel ASB string. It gave a nice release and looked good, but the serving slipped around terribly. I let it ride for the session just to see how it ended up, and it actually moved my nocking point up by a centimetre. So back to Fast Flight serving for the time being.

Is it best to serve Angel onto an untwisted string, a partially twisted string (as I did) or a fully twisted string?
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Soren Kierkegaard
    Club: Phoenix Bowmen, Halifax, County: Yorkshire

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 919 Posts
    I would twist the string before serving.That way there will be less chance of the strands twisting inside the serving when in use.
    When you said the nocking point moved up the string, did a gap appear somewhere below the nocking point?A gap where the actual bow string showed through?

Soaring I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. TJ Mason's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Geoff,

Yes, I got such a gap, and the thread bunched under the nocking point.

Thinking about it, I might not have waxed the string before serving. Unwaxed Dyneema is a lot slippier than waxed, so that's something to check when I get home.
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Soren Kierkegaard

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 919 Posts
    TJ, just a thought. When you put the serving on, do you make sure the serving wraps round the bow string in the direction of the drawing fingers as they come off the string to loose.
    The gap can indicate that the serving is unwinding or sliding up the string.If it slides up the string, it could be that there aren't enough wraps above the nocking point to hold itself in place.
    Some people serve from the top and start by threading the loose end through the strands of the bow string. Serve up the string a cm or so, then go downwards over the first cm to bind it into place really tightly.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Geoff,

Yup, done all that. My centre servings have always held together before, so it's either something in the Angel serving or perhaps I didn't wax the string under the serving.

In the Red
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It is really slippery stuff, I put it on really tight and make sure you have at least 10 turns over the end piece (get a good grip on the end of the serving that goes underneath the main part of the serving).

It may be that you simply aren't serving it tightly or consistantly enough allowing it to relieve itself as you shoot over time.

Just idle thoughts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast