'ats

Ffish

I know they're probably not being used very much lately, with the weather being as bad as it is, but I'm sure some day soon we'll get summer here, and we'll need to keep the sun off our faces. So does anyone wear an 'at whilst shooting, and if so, what type?

I tried a standard baseball cap a few weeks ago, and found that the bow string touched (indeed, even pushed) the peak of the cap when I was at full draw. Which wasn't good at all. So short of turning it back-to-front, which is really not a good look for a 40-something bloke, or tilting it up onto the top of my head, which again makes it pointless wearing it, I wondered what most other people do?

I've seen a few people wearing short brimmed beanie / jungle style hats, but I'm not convinced by them - anyone else tried any others?

ThGIII

Yeah

Ive had this problem too,, I dont mind wearing a baseball cap backwards but then it doesnt really keep the sun off the eyes.

I have a good pair of wrap round shades that just about give me a decent center view. but again Im not too comfy wearing sunglasses.

I think a Jungle hat may well be the order of the day come full sun (40 days out of 365 here LOL)

T

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
You can't beat a Tilley Hat for keeping the sun off your head. I got myself a T3 last year* and it does the job (although I have to velcro the front back for shooting).

Last year when I was buying one someone from Tilley mentioned they'd pass my comments onto the designers regarding a Tilley Archery hat. Guess nothing came of it.....

http://www.tilleyuk.com/thumbnail.asp?catId=13&gender=m&extractBy=CategoryId&id=1

*As seen in the Usual Suspects....

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
Alex Greig said:
I think that the T5 has a narrower brim than the T3.

I love my T3, and with a compound it doesn't touch the string
And they can be eaten by elephants and they survive, and they float, and they have a secret pocket and if you lose/destroy it Tilley will replace it.

Field Archer

I?ve got a soft peaked baseball type hat that Win&Win sent me along with some replacement limbs. I haven?t seen them for sale anywhere though.

Bucket hats work well and seem to be used by many archers.

robtattoo

I wear an Aussie style bush hat, made by Jacaru. It's got a large anough brim to keep the sun (?) out, but it's soft, so the string moves it out of the way. (And it looks pretty dapper too! :))

Alex Greig

Dave said:
And they can be eaten by elephants and they survive, and they float, and they have a secret pocket and if you lose/destroy it Tilley will replace it.
and mine is in GNAS dark green

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I wear a 'stupid' sun hat (well it looks stupid on me) with a Rhodes logo on the side, as seen in the Savile outdoor pics.

Mick

Sponge

Fonz Awardee
I have a fleece lined, gore-tex hat with a small peak and ear flaps. Might be a little warm for the summer, but great when it starts raining. Given that is most summer days in Manchester, I suppose it works fine.

Sponge.

robc

I use a Lowe-Alpine hat - waterproof & fleece lined with ear flaps & a peak. The peak has a malleable wire built into it so you can adjust it to any shape you want. It worked really well at the w/e - my specs stayed dry throughout the rain.

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
Cricket hat - wide brim which folds up (and looks stupid) to shoot - dark green underneath the brim to stop the glare. Tried a cheap bucket hat for Selby Westerns when the rain came down - that worked as well.

Cakemeister

Fonz Awardee
Ffish said:
I know they're probably not being used very much lately, with the weather being as bad as it is, but I'm sure some day soon we'll get summer here, and we'll need to keep the sun off our faces. So does anyone wear an 'at whilst shooting, and if so, what type?

I tried a standard baseball cap a few weeks ago, and found that the bow string touched (indeed, even pushed) the peak of the cap when I was at full draw. Which wasn't good at all. So short of turning it back-to-front, which is really not a good look for a 40-something bloke, or tilting it up onto the top of my head, which again makes it pointless wearing it, I wondered what most other people do?

I've seen a few people wearing short brimmed beanie / jungle style hats, but I'm not convinced by them - anyone else tried any others?
I usually wear a baseball cap, and I tilt it back so the string doesn't touch. Works for me. The reverse cap look does look a dog on a 40 something, I speak from experience.

T

timujin

I didn't know you received enough sun over there for it to be a problem.:D

However for the odd day when the sun peeps through, you might consider the Australian Frillneck - not the lizard, the hat - otherwise known as the Urban Turban:

I wear one in our murderous Brisbane summers and it's great - perfect for archery.

If you are interested the website is: http://www.frillneck.com.au/

I think the price is around $40 AUD which is about 17 pounds. Money well spent.

wingate_52

I the summer months, I wear a white Kangol 504 flat 'at. When it rains,I have a fleece lined Extremities , gore-tex hat with a small peak and ear flaps.I can turn the edges upwards so I don't overheat. It rains a lot here in Manchester.