bearpaw jig and longbow flecthing

Hello to anyone and everyone, my apologies if I have placed this question in the wrong place, I am new to this forum, and to forums in general.

I was wondering if anyone could help me - I am trying to make some arrows for my longbow, I have a Bearpaw jig and I seem unable to get the nock to sit at 90 degrees to the cock feather?! when I follow the instructions, such as they are, the cock fletch is 'off centre' is this correct, I believed that the cock fletch sat exactly square to the string and the other two fletches at 120 to this?
after the joy of making my first arrow I can see that it is not correct, the nock only sits in the jig correctly in one place and this is not at the staring position.

Sorry again if I am unclear but if anyone reading this could help I would very much appreciate it, all the best Shaun

LongbowJake95

Hi Shaun,
I also use the bearpaw jig for longbow fletching and from what I've found it's a fiddly device. I've not had this problem with mine until recently when i was doing some re-enactment arrows however when I had a closer look it was the feathers causing the problem and not the jig, as they werent evenly filed down.

Hi Longbowjake95

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I think you may be right, I imagine it's quite a feat to cut a feather shaft evenly to this degree!
I'll try and tweak the jig, it's all a learning curve (for a novice anyway) - and despite the setbacks and frustrations I find that I love everything to do with my longbow and only wish I'd found it years ago.

Anyway may your arrows fly straight and true, Greenmaninthewoods

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Just a thought, is the jig designed to fletch 3 and 4 fletch? Is it designed to fletch for compound as well as recurve?
If any of that is possible, then perhaps it is pre set for the wrong arrows.
If it is set for compounds, for example, then the cock fletch will be in line with the string and nock slot.
If set for 4 fletching, it will click into position 4 times in one rotation.
It looks like there may be a slider/switch on the barrel near the bottom of the nock holder, that might click into different positions for different fletching patterns.

Hiya jeoffretired

Thanks again for the response I think I have it sorted now, my erroneous belief that the fletching's were wrongly sited, it appears I'm the one wrongly sighted.

So thank you to everyone Cheers greenmaninthewoods