Beginner's Shopping List...Virtual

Purple Hugs

Ok.. say you're a beginner...
And you have ?300 to spend when you've finished your course
What would you buy? And where from?

I suppose you want some background on height right? I'm 5' 4" (ok and a half but I know you'll laugh at the all important half...).
Hubby is 5' 10"

No idea on our lb's for pulling yet, but that'll come soon I hope. :yes: No idea on 'style' of bow yet either, have shot a longbow and a recurve in the past though.

Yup... picking your brains again! :hyper:

Sponge

Fonz Awardee
Where to start?

OK.

From where:

1st: Second hand from your own club. Lets you keep the price down, lets you try first and you can always go back to the person that sold it with questions. Downsides are that there may not be anyone selling what you want. Don't go for a bow too heavy for you just because it is cheap.

2nd: Good shop with you going there. One which will spend time setting things up for you and will explain how things work. As for which one, that depends on where you are.

3rd: New from Mail order or off the internet (UK Shop). Cheaper, but you may have to set it all up. This may not be easy for a beginner unless you have some club members to help you.

4th: Ebay. Cheap, but no return policy and you don't really know what you are going to get.

As for what, for Recurve, have a look at the Winstar, Mizar (23") and Agulla packages that most shops will do. They will all be in the ?300 to ?320 range and will come with just about everythnig you need (Riser, limbs, sight, longrod, button, rest, string, tab, arm guard, 8x XX75's or Jazz arrows, case/bag, bow sling). Whatever you buy, try to get international limb fittings. That way you can upgrade you limbs later.

With your height, you way want to try both 23" and 25" risers. Are you and Hubby planning on sharing the bow? Might not be easy....

Morning recently got a 30lb, 66" Winstar from Aardvark. She's about the same height as you. Found it too heavy and Les very nicely swapped the limbs out for 28lb ones a week later, free of charge. That kind of service helps.

Hope that helps.

Sponge

JohnK

For recurve, I'd recommend a Hoyt GM or Winstar riser with Kap Challenger Wood/Glass limbs. You should have enough cash left over for a set of 12 Jazz arrows, a case, tab, bow stand, quiver etc. Dont compromise on your choice of finger tab - get the one that feels the most comfortable and repeatable.

My recommendation for place to buy from is Centreshot in Malvern, but I'm biased as I know the owners and work there on occasion. Other good shops include Wales Archery in Newport, although their prices are on the high side, and Clickers Archery over in Norwich, who I hear good things about.

Good luck :)

jerryRTD

Look closely at a platform tab with finger spacer if you are comfortable with them they will give you a more consistant anchor.

Thunk

Ironman
1. Don't buy anything until you have some idea of the draw weight you need.
This will go up quite rapidly during your first couple on months or so. Ditto for the draw length.

2. Where - a reputable shop is where. I don't know any in Hertfordsire (although Rik might recommend one). From my own knowledge, I would take a drive either to Chiltern in Aston Clinton (Bucks), or round the M25 to Quicks at Walton on Thames. Either will give you good advice and service, and let you try on their indoor range before deciding. From my personal experience at Quicks, they were happy for me to try, go away and think, and then come back and try again before I bought - the same is probably true at Chiltern.

3. If possible, take an experienced archer with you. I'd be surprised if there aren't members in your club who regularly help beginners in this way.

4. What - The Samick Agulla and Mizar risers are very good for the money, and will last you a long while before you feel the need for something better.
I have an Agulla myself. The Winstar is also a very good buy. Don't spend a fortune on limbs, as you will probably upgrade these before the riser! Samick Universal, KAP Challenger and others at that sort of price range will be good.

5. Secondhand - can be a bargain - or a nightmare. If you can buy within the club you should be OK. On Ebay you can be taking your life in your hands if you don't know what to look for, or what questions to ask.

Don't forget to let us know how you get on, and come back if you have more questions (you will, you know!)

Purple Hugs

Thanks all! This will give me a few names to look at. :D

We are planning on buying seperate bows as want to shoot together. Also girl v's boy etc etc, we'll need a different set up.

The club we are looking at joining has kindly said once we complete our course to go along for a session and then if we all get on we can go shopping with one of their coaches.:veryhappy
This sounds like a great way of doing it, so we'll go for that route. I just really wanted to know what price we're looking for and if we have enough in the kitty. :hyper:

Have been to Chiltern Archery as we are starting their beginners course on the 22nd. Will have a look at quicks as well though before we buy I think.
Not sure of anywhere else more local - I'm in Hemel.

Thanks again for your advice!

Cakemeister

Fonz Awardee
Does your club let you shoot with their bows for a while after you've joined? I'd be tempted to do that for a while & look around. It's an expensive investment if you decide after a while you don't enjoy it.

Some shops do starter packs for around the ?300 mark, & I suggest you look at a riser with universal fittings & work from there. Try stuff out, find out what feels right for you. Borrow kit. Get a bow with a future- Kap stuff is IMHO beginners only.

Purple Hugs

Thanks, The club unfortunately doesn't have equipment we can use after joining.
Hence my seeking your experience! :veryhappy

I've just been checking out risers, and agree the best bet is to buy a riser that will last well and limbs that can be improved on eventually.

Will ensure I look for a universal riser though.. now i know what one is! lol

We won't be buying till a couple of weeks after our course finishes at the earliest. I'm sure by then we'll know if we're going to stick with it, it's a hobby for us to share too so we'll be supporting each other. It's something we've wanted to do for a good 6 or 7 years now too. :hyper:

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
OK, thunk, you're coming with me to sort out my kit when I get back to Kingston!

Purple Hugs

lol a personal shopper we could all use eh!?

I've had a look at the Samick Agulla riser, looks a great riser.. AND it comes in PURPLE! hehe I am trying not to build up my hopes on having a purple bow but it would be lovely :hyper:

I'm looking forward but part of me is dreading going bow shopping! it's such a daunting task, I just hope the person from the club is patient and friendly! I'm sure they will be.

Sounds like ?300 is an ok amount for us to begin with.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Jane, it's SHOPPING!!! Shopping for anything is a GOOD thing! Think of it like trying on clothes. You get to try out a lot of different styles and go with the one that suits your taste and budget. It's a win-win situation. Hehe...or a Win&Win riser!!! ;)

Purple Hugs

Lol I know.. but I walked into Chiltern Archery and felt like a little girl in a gun shop or something! :jaw-dropp

Hence looking to clue myself up with the lingo.... and a vague idea of what i want! hehe rather than looking dumb and saying... anything purple! :loser:
lol

Sponge

Fonz Awardee
Hey, I am sure most archery shops have had people buying with a lot less idea than saying you want it in purple. The question is, if you like the bow but they don't have it in stock, could you wait for them to send you a purple one later?

Don't be afraid to ask in the shop and question. Most people who actually care about the sport will happily talk for hours about it, especially to beginners who are about to hand over ?300.

Sponge.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Purple Hugs said:
Lol I know.. but I walked into Chiltern Archery and felt like a little girl in a gun shop or something! :jaw-dropp
Being a little girl in a gun shop is fun!!! Trust me, I've been there, done that, shot an AK-47 :mischievo

Actually, sometimes ignorance is good. Learn everything you can from the Chiltern people, that's what they're there for! They want to pass on their knowledge of archery and equipment to as many people as they can. It perpetuates the sport and their jobs! The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

As for anything purple, join the purple mafia and we can share our sources!

Purple Hugs

lol I'd happily belong to the purple mafia! Purple Rocks! :devil:

Have fired a 9mm SMG but not an AK.. now that WOULD be an experience. :fight:

You both have great points and I'll try and stop being a GIRL! hehe

And yes.. I'd happily wait for a purple riser to be ordered in. :hyper: it'd be worth the wait! I can't explain the happiness Purple makes me feel.. something in my gentic make up I think!

I once was asked NOT to wear so much purple.. by my BF at the time.. I dumped him! :raspberry