Bits that rattle and fall off...

sky_high30

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Am I alone, or am I the only person out there who has kit with individual bits that shake loose at inopportune moments?

So far i've had...Right hand short rod vibrating loose, Lower sight block screw shaking loose and screw coming out completely (Couldn't understand why my clicker kept moving...it being one of the cavalier ones), Longrod shaking loose occasionally. They do it because of vibrations, I think, but is there any way of stopping it? Because it's getting rather annoying (Locktite on the short rod isn't an acceptable solution).

Likewise, does anyone else have any stuff that regularly undoes itself?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
You are not the only one that's for sure!
Vibration is the cause and some bow/archer combinations create more than others. The cure is to avoid metal to metal contact. The sight block for example is metal to metal. To separate them, I use a leather gasket between.You could use a thin sheet of rubber or some use double sided tape.

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Try nylon washers on your stabilisers. Beiter Distanz Rings are pretty good but whatever you can get your hands on will work just as well.

If your sight is shaking itself to bits you could try a Doinker Sight EZE. I've never used one so I don't know if they are any good.

Bald Eagle

Things do come loose, especially on a compound, but before you buy lots of doinkers and magic mushrooms, go back to basics, check all the normal things like tiller, brace height etc. A well tuned bow should have minimal vibration, the cause of bits coming loose!

Whitehart

In addition to no metal to metal contact make sure that your bracing height is in the sweet spot, otherwise this causes excess vibration througout the limbs and handle.

sky_high30

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Actually, my compound (Browning Eclipse) Developed an annoying habit of the draw length adjustment screw coming undone - it fell out once outdoors at Cranwell. Minor panic ensued.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I'm going to buck the trend and say - take any washers you have off the stabilisers. You don't need them and you don't want your rods de-coupled from the bow in any way.

Instead, lubricate the threads on your rods with a bit of grease (petroleum jelly will do), which will enable you to tighten them enough that they shouldn't normally work loose.

On the sightblock, I've used a layer of double sided tape in the past, just as a precaution. My current one doesn't have anything IIRC.

sky_high30

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Wingate: I've had a think, and besides from the bow stand and case I don't have any Cartel kit on my bow...

goa dan

my sight is always shaking loose in some way :(

but it is a cartel sight :boggled: time for an upgrade i think

Kae

The American
American Shoot
I have to cover my back and say that: the majority of cartel stuff must be very good (its just a shame that they never sell any of it to anyone I know, or have met via forums, or shoot more than 3 arrows a week etc).

But Cartel is notorious for poor quality testing, and a sight is the last thing I would ever have from them.

Arten do an ok one for ?35. A little bit more than the cartel, but at least it won't fall off your bow after every shot.

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Kae said:
I have to cover my back and say that: the majority of cartel stuff must be very good.
Nahh the majority of it is worse than rubbish. There are a few gems amongst the pebbles though :)

...and the topic rapidly moves off topic.

To get it back on topic I'd have to agree that a bit of bracing height tuning can do wonders to a rattling bow.

chris

sky_high30 said:
Am I alone, or am I the only person out there who has kit with individual bits that shake loose at inopportune moments?

So far i've had...Right hand short rod vibrating loose, Lower sight block screw shaking loose and screw coming out completely (Couldn't understand why my clicker kept moving...it being one of the cavalier ones), Longrod shaking loose occasionally. They do it because of vibrations, I think, but is there any way of stopping it? Because it's getting rather annoying (Locktite on the short rod isn't an acceptable solution).

Likewise, does anyone else have any stuff that regularly undoes itself?
i have never had anything undo,shake loose or drop off my longbow;)
chris

Whitehart

Agreed Chris, but I have experienced large bits of a longbow narrowly missing my head on the shooting line minutes after the archer proudly said how long it took him to make. He took it well though and calmly got another out from his car.

Greenman

Fonz Awardee
I have found the double sided tape you get from car accessory shops for sticking on No. plates to be good, it has a layer of foam in it which probably helps as well.Useful to have when the mushrooms start falling off!

R

rgsphoto

As long as the add on bits are of decent quality I feel a well tuned bow will suffer no problems. look at the bow tune first before masking the problem with bolt on bits and bits of tape etc. If a sight block needed to be mounted on rubber or leather, the manufacturer would include such items when they sell em'.

jerryRTD

Never had any trouble with any bits coming off any of my Oneidas' The nut that holds the riser has had a few wobbles from time to time but you get that even with long bows.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Jerry, I just knew you would say something like that about the Onieda,I think every archer should be made to shoot one at least once in their lives!LOL
Seriously though, they do put smiles on faces and for the right reasons too.