Calibrating Scales

cestria

Fonz Awardee
Does anyone know how judges get their bow scales calibrated? I?m thinking about the Easton Electronic Scales in particular. I?ve seen that they can take them to the judges conference to be submitted for calibration, do the scales get tweaked or does any inaccuracy in the scales get calculated and noted? I?ve got a set which I believe to over read by 4% (tested with certified test weights) which I?d love to have put right.

cestria

Fonz Awardee
Hi Whitehart
Thanks for the reply, you test your scales against a test weight but then what? I suspected my scales to be wrong when I got them, as all of our bows came in a little on the high side of the indicated weights so I had them tested by a scales engineer that I know. He did a series of static tests, averaged the error and concluded they over indicate by 4%. Unfortunately he doesn't know how to adjust the Easton scales. I know I can send them back to Easton but this would take how long? I can do the maths when I check bows but for what these cost you would expect they should indicate the correct weight.

The Enigma

Ironman
The past few shoots where the judges have had to check the compound weight to make sure its under 60lb, for record status shoots. The readings that the bow scales that the judges have in our county, must all be slightly out, because everyone then usually makes a joke of what poundage are you supposedly pulling. Even though on the other hand you could use several bow scales and they could all show a different weight, even the new digital ones, that Easton brought out.

Rip T

Given that the Judges only have to ensure that the compound bow is less than 60lbs I assume they take their scales along to be calibrated where a 60lb weight is used and the reading on the scales is recorded.

Then at the shoot if your bow weighs in at less than the recorded value you are fine.

As to how accurate the scales are across a range then that is an issue for the manufacturers.

Rip T

Chase Archer

Ironman
I'm sure in the past I've seen judges scales with a small sticker on indicating whether the scales over or under read and by how much. As RipT said as they only need to know at 60lbs so if the scale is out further down the range it doesn't matter.

Tropicalshot

Given that the Judges only have to ensure that the compound bow is less than 60lbs I assume they take their scales along to be calibrated where a 60lb weight is used and the reading on the scales is recorded.

Then at the shoot if your bow weighs in at less than the recorded value you are fine.

As to how accurate the scales are across a range then that is an issue for the manufacturers.

Rip T
Seeing as there are no tollerances given either way a bow can in fact weigh 60lb on the dot, and in some world cups there has been a 1# plus varyance recorded by archers who have attended.
also different readings can be obtained by differing drawing methods.
You just have to accept the scales supplied on the day

whiz

Unless you pull your easton scales apart, there is no way to calibrate them.
If you know the tolerance, then just calculate 4 percent off the weight that it's showing.
I've had easton scales vary with battery voltage.
Not very impressed..

EVC

Unless you pull your easton scales apart, there is no way to calibrate them.
If you know the tolerance, then just calculate 4 percent off the weight that it's showing.
I've had easton scales vary with battery voltage.
Not very impressed..
4%? Wow! And drifts with battery voltage too? Good to know (kind of.) Then my only-God-knows-the-make scale at $30 was not a bad deal after all.