Cheap barebow setup

Martin Tetik

Few days ago somebody has stolen my barebow set, with some extra damages on my car :(

So I am looking for a balanced cheap recurve barebow setup (having been shooting for 1/2 year, being able to shoot 200-220 in 300 round 18m 40cm target). Please give me your advice to my preliminary setup.

riser: Gillo G2 with weight > read only good stuff about this riser
limbs: SF Axiom plus long 30lbs> not sure here
rest: Spigarelli ZT rest
plunger: Shibuya DX plunger

Thanks

cweg

The setup sounds pretty good. The SF Axiom+ are very good limbs for the money. If your DL is around 29,5" I'd go for medium lenght Limbs cause of less torsion, less weight and faster reaction.

JohnK

Sorry to hear that :(

That set up looks like a good start to me. I'm not a fan of those big magnetic arrow rests personally, as I always had clearance issues whenever I tried to use them. However, I understand many barebow archers like them.

If it helps you stay in budget, I have some second-hand SF long limbs for sale. Could get you up and running on a budget in the meantime?

http://www.archeryinterchange.com/f346/sf-70in-limbs-sale-223409/

MartinO

Since you say "not sure here", just be aware that Axiom+ limbs in long feels a bit sluggish in comparison to the medium version. The heavy wood glass construction gets even heavier when the limbs are long. If you draw 29 and over, go 70", but if you are 27-28,9 somewhere, the 68 will be more nice to shoot. In long, I like the SF Premium and Premium Carbon better. Also the Samicks in the lower price range perform very well. However, the Axioms are still a great deal since they are so cheap and the build quality is excellent.

You can?t go wrong with the G2. Very good riser for the price.

adoadam

Since you say "not sure here", just be aware that Axiom+ limbs in long feels a bit sluggish in comparison to the medium version. The heavy wood glass construction gets even heavier when the limbs are long. If you draw 29 and over, go 70", but if you are 27-28,9 somewhere, the 68 will be more nice to shoot. In long, I like the SF Premium and Premium Carbon better. Also the Samicks in the lower price range perform very well. However, the Axioms are still a great deal since they are so cheap and the build quality is excellent.

MartinO - great to see you on archeryinterchange.....

Martin T - believe everything that MartinO says! He knows what he is on about.

I would caution about the combination of G2 and Axiom+ limbs. I have tried a G1 with 9 different sets of limbs including some 34L Axiom+. In every case the limb fit was compromised in some way either through a very stiff fit over the limb bolt or what seemed like clearance problems with the dovetail. In a couple of cases the limbs simply wouldn't fit the riser (the manufacturer recommended sanding the limb slots). In the other cases the limbs would not fit at some point over the recommended range of adjustment of the limb bolts. In the case of the Axioms, there was clear interference with the bolt that holds the dovetail plate to the riser and the limbs, to the extent that the limbs were slightly damaged by the bolt.

I think the G1 limb geometry is identical to the G2, hence my caution. Please test for limb fit to the G1/G2 before buying would be my strong advice, or obtain specific advice from your supplier that your chosen limbs fit.

The Axiom+ limbs perform extremely well for their price though I do agree with Martin about other options.

Adam

- - - Updated - - -

MartinO - great to see you on archeryinterchange.....

Martin T - believe everything that MartinO says! He knows what he is on about.

I would caution about the combination of G2 and Axiom+ limbs. I have tried a G1 with 9 different sets of limbs including some 34L Axiom+. In every case the limb fit was compromised in some way either through a very stiff fit over the limb bolt or what seemed like clearance problems with the dovetail. In a couple of cases the limbs simply wouldn't fit the riser (the manufacturer recommended sanding the limb slots). In the other cases the limbs would not fit at some point over the recommended range of adjustment of the limb bolts. In the case of the Axioms, there was clear interference with the bolt that holds the dovetail plate to the riser and the limbs, to the extent that the limbs were slightly damaged by the bolt.

I think the G1 limb geometry is identical to the G2, hence my caution. Please test for limb fit to the G1/G2 before buying would be my strong advice, or obtain specific advice from your supplier that your chosen limbs fit.

The Axiom+ limbs perform extremely well for their price though I do agree with Martin about other options.

Adam

blakey

Great to see you on Archery Interchange Martin. We have recently started a Recurve Barebow forum on here and would greatly appreciate your input and advice any time you feel able to drop in. At the moment you have to click on 'Bow Styles', then 'Recurve Barebow' will come up. Dave the admin is going to write a better link when he has time. I'm sure we all hope to see you there. :)