Cheap compact binoculars for outdoor target archery

buzz lite beer

I have a pair of celestron nature 10X42

71327.jpg

Now these are quite high spec for price @ ?110-120 and do compare well with stuff costing ?100 more, usable up to 70m and no more in my opinion, larger magnification would be all but impossible to hold steady enough to spot arrows.

Mark31121

Ironman
For target shooting it might be as easy to get a scope - I got a cheap birdwatching scope and a camera tripod for about ?35 all in all from LIdl or Aldi - I've also used my camera with a zoom lens, but that puts the price up quite considerably (I did use the cheap tripod tho, better than some at ?80+)

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
Seven Day Shop compact binoculars will do at a push - better to have a proper scope and stable tripod plus a method of tying it down

wingate_52

I think that you will struggle to see your arrows in the target at that distance with handheld binoculars. The higher the magnification, the more movement of the target through the lens. Avoid zoom binos. Quality brands will give you a good picture but at a price. I would opt for a scope on a tripod on the line and maybe a pair of 7Dayshop 10 x 50's when you have both hands free. I use a http://www.amazon.co.uk/Visionary-M15-15x50-Waterproof-Monocular/dp/B005BA16PW at short distance when shooting and from behind the line with a Barr & Stroud - 20-60 x 80 Spotting Scope on a quality tripod and Manfrotto head on the line. A water resistant cover will help on a scope. Not much is fully waterproof and fog resistant on a wet day in this country.

buzz lite beer

Thank you for your replies

That is more than I am willing to budget for binoculars, probably ?40 max pus seems a little large to comfortably fit on a quiver
They are quite compact, anything smaller objective lens size wise will be too dark, and sadly anything around ?40 is going to be less than adequate for the job of spotting arrows :(
but good luck with your quest :)

Badgers Dad

I've tried several sets of binoculars in the past, got fed up trying to keep the damn things still long enough to find the target, let alone spot arrows. So I bought a scope instead......

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I use a cheap 20x50 monocular for spotting like that, I've mentioned it before...

it's unbranded, but I think I've seen the same thing around on Amazon and various places.
It's as compact as many binos, light (300g) and I can stick it on a tripod, or hang it on my belt to use free hand.
Best ?35 I've spent on optics :) Supposedly waterproof and nitrogen filled... I've never exactly tested that, but it's never misted up, either.

And a test image (shot with my phone, so it's rubbish, but gives an idea of the plus's/minuses):

Those headstones are over 100 yards away...
Actual image by eye is much sharper than that, and yes there is some fringing, but it doesn't tend to be too noticeable in use.

Last edited:

RogueFletching

Rik, that options sounds good, I like the flexibility of being able to use it in different situations but i fear as wingate_52 said it make be hard to use by hand as anything above 10x will be shaky (is it?).

Also reconsidering Buzz suggestion and may get a tripod adapter for use as a quasi scope, will this combo work?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Rik, that options sounds good, I like the flexibility of being able to use it in different situations but i fear as wingate_52 said it make be hard to use by hand as anything above 10x will be shaky
I don't find that... Maybe I just have steady hands.

Nice view you have there Rik, I bet it's dead quiet where you live :)
Quiet enough, unless the police are chasing some ne'er-do-well from the estate down the road...
It's the houses across the road back onto the burial ground, we just see glimpses.