Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clueless about Fastflight!

Thanks

Clueless about Fastflight!

Hi Guys

Could you please help. I keep hearing that a fastflight string on my bow will help me achieve longer distances with my new arrows (did I mention before Ive got lovely new arrows? )

Ive done a search on the forums but cant quite find the information Im looking for. The question is that these FastFlight strings dont seem to be actually called that when you look in some of the catalogues. Could someone explain to me what strings equate to fastflight and how many strands etc I should be looking for.

Im using a 68" bow with 24lb limbs but only pulling 22lbs with 26" draw (so far).

At the moment Im using a 12 strand Dacron string but to be perfectly honest with you guys I dont really understand the finer differences between string types, number of strands etc.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Thank you!

Witchie Poo Cat
    They called it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award. clickerati's Avatar
    Thanks
    There is a wealth of knowledge on the internet. I like this site about string making. There's a good section about materials, determining string length and strands, and how to make a string if you're so inclined.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 919 Posts
    WPC In a nutshell, some materials stretch more when they are used to shoot arrows.If they stretch as the poundage on them goes up, the bow is less bent at full draw. This gives a slower launch. Some materials are heavier so they are slower at launching arrows. Some materials are stronger so you need less to make a string and could be lighter and quicker as a result.
    Fastflight is fast for the reasons I have mentioned. Little stretch, strong, light weight. At the moment there is very little Fastflight around but there are others that are similar for similar reasons.
    There is a downside to fastflight and similar. On some all wooden bows, the shock of the string returning to rest, with no stretch in it, can cause damage to the riser and possibly the limbs. Dacron is more stretchy so it soaks up some of that shock. It is normal to use dacron on beginners bows. (all wooden risers)

In the Gold I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot. Robert's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchie Poo Cat
    Hi Guys
    >>snip

Im using a 68" bow with 24lb limbs but only pulling 22lbs with 26" draw (so far).

At the moment Im using a 12 strand Dacron string <<snip>>

Witchie Poo Cat

Well I was shooting a 12 strand dacron string on a gm with 34lb limbs (holding 32) and it made my xx75 1616's act weak as it was so fast. I have now switched to a 16 strand fastflight(or equivalent!) string and this has slowed the bow down enough to get the arrows to tune.(using a single floss nocking point at the moment)

It might be worth borrowing a string from a friendly archer and seeing what the difference is (Thanks Robbo !) particularly with a bareshaft test.

As far as I can tell the 16 strand FF string is quieter, more forgiving and now the arrows are not being wrestled into line by the fletches I dont anticipate any radical change in sightmarks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired
    There is a downside to fastflight and similar. On some all wooden bows, the shock of the string returning to rest, with no stretch in it, can cause damage to the riser and possibly the limbs. Dacron is more stretchy so it soaks up some of that shock. It is normal to use dacron on beginners bows. (all wooden risers)
    Im using a Hoyt Gold Medalist riser with Challenger limbs so no worries about the wooden bow thing.

Im probably just being a bit thick here, but Im still none the wiser as to my original question! Ive noticed that people are telling me to get fastflight but I cant get ACTUAL fastflight but there are similar strings. What I need to know is what strings are similar to fastflight, what names do they go by?

I also need to know for the arrows(1716 spine 28")/poundage Im shooting (22lbs), and the distances I want to achieve (60 yards+) what combination of fastflight/string strands would be best suited? I seem to remember someone (think it was dave) suggesting that perhaps a 16 strand would be the best way to go but I dont really understand how this impacts on the performance.

If someone could give me an idea of the names of strings Im looking for and also how the different strand combinations would affect the shooting of my light arrows from a low poundage bow.

Sorry, hope this makes sense, Im still stressed out about my broken TV!

Thanks!

Witchie Poo Cat
    They called it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken

Thanks
    Hi WPC i went from a dacron string to a 16 strand fastflight and had a slight improvement but not enough so i went back and got a 14 strand fastflight which was better, after this i came across a mention of HNL strings
    www.hnlarchery.com
    from here i got myself a 16 strand Angel Majesty string
    i believe the string is Angel Dyneema with Majesty servings and this certainly put some extra punch in my arrows
    theres several types of strings to chose from on HNL and also theres some good descriptions of what the strings do, have a look there it may help :-)
    "Where`s the CUSTARD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast