Custom grip maker in the UK?

JohnK

This seemed like the best place to put this...

I'm utterly useless at DIY, and my attempts to customise a grip have been unsuccessful.

I was wondering whether there was anyone in the UK who makes bow grips, and if so, roughly how much should I expect to pay?

Ta in advance :)

DarkMuppet

You could try KG archery or the guy who makes the Oak grips for the Petron riser at Chiltern. It might even be the same guy, but not sure. :)

Pricewise, I think you're probably looking at about ?40 as that what the replacements cost.

nig295

Not wishing to hijack the thread but on a closley related topic, is it legal to wrap the grip in the towelling tape used on tennis rackets?

JohnK

Ta :)

I prefer not to give Chiltern my custom if I can avoid it, but if the grips are supplied by a third party that could be worth looking into.

D

Deleted member 7654

Not wishing to hijack the thread but on a closley related topic, is it legal to wrap the grip in the towelling tape used on tennis rackets?
I don't think the police will be after you...
Del

grimsby archer

Why would you want to?
<leaping to conclusions>
So you can grip the bow better? To stop the bow slipping when your hands sweat?
If you need to do either of these things, you need to review your bowhand position, not apply substances to make your hand stick to the bow better
</leaping to conclusions>

backinblack

Hi John,

My suggestion would be Keith Gascoign also. I saw your "would like to buy" post re Loesch grips and a while back I enquired as to whether he could do a grip for the Luxor riser but cried off as it meant incurring the cost and risk of sending the riser out to the States for him to work from.

Another option (a bit tenuous perhaps) would be to take the grip off and wrap the grip section with something - rubber tennis racquet grip? and add padding where necessary. The angle of the bare riser wasn't substantially different to that of my Loesch low grip for my Hoyt riser. Alternatively, you could perhaps knock up a couple of side plates like on a compound grip to give it a bit of bulk.

Otherwise, I hope it is going well for you.

Kind regards,
John

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Actually that is a very good idea. On my Greenhorn Sirius I took the grip off and dremmelled the sharp edges off the riser, then shoved the little bit of grip that the Nilo has on at the bottom and hey presto!

JohnK

John,

I adore the riser. It's right up there with my Intrepid in terms of feel, and the little features (like the click-adjust tiller bolts) are spot on.

I could try shooting off the riser with a bit of padding, but that would reduce the draw length and also require more technical/practical ability than I really have when it comes to fiddling around with materials. As for Loesch, yes, an Inno-fitting grip should fit, but sadly Loesch ceased trading a few months ago. I mailed him to ask about buying a grip, and about two months later I had a reply stating he was shutting down the grip making business and would only be fulfilling existing orders. My original email, it seemed, didn't constitute an order :(

No matter. I have a mail in with KG. We'll see what happens :)

Ta again!

Flyingwatchmaker

What about the Jagers? ... While I'd like a nice wooden grip for my Inno CXT & Sky, I'm thinking J?ger is likely to be the only place I'll get matching grips... If only Border made grips like they do bows.. My wife's black Douglas feels superb... ;-)

Tom

JohnK

I want to get my hands on a low Jager BEST 2.0 grip as well. However, although Jager has reopened for business after a hiatus following a death in the family, they aren't replying to my emails :-/

Flyingwatchmaker

I saw that on the AT forum... I'm thinking he partly didn't think how many people would jump back on the bandwagon ;-) but basic emails should have a priority (I'm holding off till after Christmas to order more archery stuff, a set of Hex 6's are already in production with my name on them... And my lightning bolts :). )

Good luck!

JohnK

Ta :)

As it is, the man himself has very politely replied to my AT post, asking me to pose my questions there in case the answers might help others too. Very good of him.

My HEX6s BB2s have just entered the queue as well. Decided to go with mostly standard options (clear carbon finish, gold lettering, classic logos) with one little tweak. Can't wait :D

backinblack

I want to get my hands on a low Jager BEST 2.0 grip as well. However, although Jager has reopened for business after a hiatus following a death in the family, they aren't replying to my emails :-/
Hi John,

I have one of these on order for my Helix. They turned around getting an invoice out to me fairly quickly and which has been paid for about a week and a half now...it will be interesting to see how long it takes for the grip to show. That said, it might have done already - I'm away for a few days at the moment.

Regards,
John

JohnK

Interesting stuff... Could you post photos of the grip when you get it?

I've had an email from KG, with an estimate of around ?62,50, which is pretty reasonable. They would, however, like to see my riser first, which isn't going to be possible. I'll post more developments here, just in case.

tehenlai

For those waiting for the Jager grips, mine just arrived today. I ordered mine on the 4th of November payment was requested on the 11th and it arrived this morning. I went for a Best 2.0 type.

Woodie

JohnK before giving up on doing it yourself have you tried SUGRU. This is a rubber type resin so very easy to reshape once it is set. It also gives a similar feel to the jaeger grip.