Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat bow

In the White
    Thanks

Question Flat bow

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience of the samick SLB flatbow. I fancy the idea of a bit of fun in the summer with instinctive aiming. They appear to be inexpensive and I would imagine a lot more forgiving than a longbow.

Any suggestions on bow weight ??
    Nothing's forgotten,Nothing's ever forgotten

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    My first coach (sadly deceased) shot one for fun. He only had a 28in draw length, but he found it started stacking at 27in. Of course, that was a few years back and besides, he might have just been unlucky enough to get a dud.

Basically, if you pay less than 200 for a traditional-style bow, then for the most part you have to accept that you aren't going to get an amazing piece of kit, although it'll probably be fun to shoot.

As for weight, I have no idea what to recommend because I don't know anything about you (what draw weight you currently shoot, whether you're male or female, etc.). Give us more details

In the White
    Thanks

flatbow

Thanks John,

I'm male and 6'-00'' tall and shoot compound at the moment ,haven't shot a self bow for years. Basically didn't know whether to jump in the deep end with a sixty pounder and go through the pain barrier of building up to it or settling for something a little lighter and sacrificing a bit of cast ?
    Nothing's forgotten,Nothing's ever forgotten

Thanks
    It's a decent bow for the money - not stunning but not 400 + either. However there is someone on the NFAS site selling a Border AFB for a great price which will shoot a lot sweeter. US trad legend Asbell mentions being able to pull a bow and hold at full draw for 10 seconds while sitting in a chair. Personally I feel somewhere around 45# is adequate for the average guy but go with whatever you can comfortably shoot.

Thanks
    Orius, poundage is no indicator of cast. My 45# Border Griffon will have more cast than a 60# SLB due to its radical reflex/deflex design and carefully tillered limbs. My 50# Blackbrook Zeta is noticeably faster and smoother than my 55# Martin Vision. Also the SLB, like most AFBs on the market today, is not a selfbow - its basically plywood sandwiched between fibreglass.
    There shouldn't be a pain barrier - if there is chances are you will not pass through the accuracy barrier. Surely it is more fun grouping arrows from a 35# bow than scattering them all over the place with a more powerful bow. A compound bow allows you to hold a very light weight at full draw. Even if you are using a 60# compound, shooting a 45# stickbow comfortably and accurately will be challenging for a while.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I agree with Macbow. You should definitely go for something lighter, perhaps even 35 to 40lb at your draw length to begin with. The good thing is that if you buy a lighter Samick bow like this, you'd probably be able to sell it on easily when the time comes to get a nice British-made flat bow

If you live near a shop, I suggest you call them and find out whether they have any flatbows in stock. I know Wales Archery in Newport usually carries a good stock of them.

Best of luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast