Golf Shoes for shooting out doors

Big.Dave

My current outdoor shoes are worn out so I'm looking for some new shoes and saw someone wearing golf shoes at a competition I went to this year.

So I had a look at whats out there and the choice is massive but reading some of the guides they do tick all the boxes that would make them suitable for archery.

To list a few things most are waterproof, they support the foot, they have firm soles which gives a firm platform to stand on, they are designed to be comfortable to walk long distances on grass golfers will walk further on a round the an archer will on a FITA.

The only down side is they are no good for walking on hard surfaces.

So are there any archers that wear golf shoes or play golf?

If yes what makes are any good and which ones should be avoided.

Cheers Dave.

SimonW

Footjoy are one of the best. I have a pair - superbly comfortable and 100% waterproof. I play golf once or twice a year, 36 holes at a go and the one thing that doesn't let me down or cause me trouble are the shoes.

Simon

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Footjoy are one of the best. I have a pair - superbly comfortable and 100% waterproof. I play golf once or twice a year, 36 holes at a go and the one thing that doesn't let me down or cause me trouble are the shoes.

Simon
Yep - Footjoys are excellent. I have two pairs of the DryJoy Pro model which is my preferred choice. Two things about Footjoy - they are not cheap and they are at the traditional end of the market in terms of design.

I also have a pair of Adidas Tour 360, their flagship shoe. Just as waterproof but more of a trainer look and a bit cheaper across the range. Both companies have more affordable models, and are reliable choices regardless, as long as you actually get waterproof ones. I think all FJs are waterproof, but Adidas and others have Climacool trainer type shoes, which aren't - on purpose. Don't just assume "Golf shoes" = waterproof. The chain American Golf (not affiliated) is a good place to try them on and have a stroll around.

Biggsy

Most of the newish golf shoes are fitted with removable "soft spikes", i have several pairs cos i play golf regularly. They would make great archery shoes if they dont break any of the archery rules , and , if you take off the soft spikes would be fine indoors as well, very comfy

M

Moose

If you do not already play golf why not buy a pair of good quality soft waterproof walking boots I have a karrimor pair gortex good solid sole good ankle support and hikers walk further than golfers or archers

No spikes to remove can be worn indoors or any place else

posted by moose on the loose

C

Compound10

after a soaking weekend at the Middx FITA this year the first day I wore my boots and got very wet feet. So the second day I wore my Golf shoes and was perfectly dry and toasty all day.

Go for it.

Whitehart

I also use golf shoes outdoors they are great mine are leather (Mizuhu) keep the feet the right temperature, waterproof and help with correct body posture and weight balance across the feet
The soft spikes work well on filelds that are sodden - you dont slip over
Also work well on snow and ice when pushing cars out of the way.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
As a general note on footwear, I favour trainer type boots and shoes with GoreTex (Other waterproof membranes are available) and I've picked up most of my archery ones in a popular chain of discount shops. I'm not fond of wearing ones that are too sturdy like my normal hiking boots as I find I get cramp standing around in them. The trainer type outdoor footwear comes in different soles stiffnesses depending on what they were designed for so really there is something for everyone and its worth looking in outdoor shops for them.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it is better to wear footwear with a slight heel for archery than have flat footwear as the slight heel gives you better good posture support and that the footwear should support your foot well - so with that in mind golf shoes will certainly fit the bill.

DavidH

Ive got a pair of steel capped builders boots, waterproof and warm, and I cant shoot myself in the foot;)

Big.Dave

If you do not already play golf why not buy a pair of good quality soft waterproof walking boots I have a karrimor pair gortex good solid sole good ankle support and hikers walk further than golfers or archers

No spikes to remove can be worn indoors or any place else

posted by moose on the loose
The pair of shoes that were worn out were made by Karrimor but although comfortable I think they should stick to rucksacks.

I notice the Korean archer Park Kyung Mo was wearing golf shoes at the Beijing Olympics.