Heatshrink for nocking points

wingate_52

Advantages and disadvantages using this material. Techniques? Don't use a naked flame! Opinions and info please.

greydog

Sounds interesting, what sort of temperature are you looking at? hairdryer or lighter.....I imagine you'd need something to protect any exposed serving either way, maybe wrapping some tin foil round either side?

greydog

Hmmm do you have an old string you can test it on first? Too much heat might cause the string to stretch or worse.

Adam

Why bother? Sounds to me like just one more thing to go wrong. You'd need a thinner-than-usual serving to get your nocks to fit then, when the tubing splits through wear (and it would be bound to go during a competition), your nocks wouldn't fit. Plugging in the heat gun in the middle of an archery field could be tricky too.

Adam

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
how many layers would you need to make a decent nocking point...? It shrinks down pretty thin doesn't it?

SLOWHAND

Used in a high stress situation like a bow string I dont think that the tubing would last very long before cracking.

Thunk

Ironman
Also, how much does heatshrink tubing shrink? Don't forget it will have to be big enough to get over the nocking loop at the end of the string.

I would have thought that sufficient heat to shrink the tubing would have a detrimental effect on the string material, which is stressed highly enough during the shot process as it is.

meta

heat shrink

Hi,

I tried this... sort of...

I use the Quicks "cotton reel" nocks made of teflon. (These are re-usable.)

I went to Maplins and found a pack of heat shrink, with various sizes of tubing.

I found one size that I could put on a string, and shrink tight with boiling water. (I am sure the shrinkage could have been more, but I know that boilling water will give an absolute max of 100C, which I deemed to be safe.)

Anyway, I made a string with served loops, a teflon cotton reel nocking point, and the rest 'served' with heat shrink... and FYI, it was bloody awful...

meta