How to try different grips/Handles

BobCat

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
How to try different grips

I want to vary my grip. I have seen threads on how to permanently change a grip but I want to test different angles (high to low etc). Visiting a shop is out, I want longer shooting than 5 mins with each, distance and time is also a problem.

I did think of packing a glove, but this was not consistent enough.

Any help would be appreciated.

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
One thing I have heard loads is car filler. You can layer it loads and also should be faily easy to shape.

Tarkwin

Prince Of Dorkness
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
you could (try to) buy a second grip and experiment on that one..

T.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
BobCat,
One thing you can do is to make the grip in three parts. a side plate for each side and a central filler to go between. That is the piece that your thumb muscle really contacts and that is the part that needs to have angle adjustment.
If you can fix the side plates to the riser have the edges nearest the string slightly proud of the riser's metal slope. Have a selection of wedges as fillers. Try one and change it for one with a higher angle etc.
If there is any tendency for the central filler to slide inside the plates something like Blu-tak will give enough adhesion to help with your testing.

Fugue

If you are starting with a low grip, you can build it up with materials which can be easily removed to test out different angles before doing something more permanent.

One guy in our club has been testing out different angles by using rubber or plastic wedges , then using tennis racket grip wrap to hold in place. I don't know how long he was able to shoot with them before doing something more permanent.

If your grip is a high grip, then you could just start chiseling, if you dont like the end result you can always get a new one. Or take it off first if you dont want to risk it and build up from the bow.

buzz lite beer

try building up a grip using multiple layers of masking tape, when you have the shape and angles that you find suit you then get carving the plastic padding car body filler to make a permanent grip in the form of your tape prototype

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
IOne guy in our club has been testing out different angles by using rubber or plastic wedges , then using tennis racket grip wrap to hold in place. I don't know how long he was able to shoot with them before doing something more permanent.
Yep - seen this done before. The wedge needs to be tightly bound to stop it moving, but it can work. Personally I just use car body filler... add some more... take some away... buid it up, take it down... :cheerful: but it's a slowish process (takes overnight to harden sufficiently for you to start working on it.) Milliput might be a good alternative as it's easier to shape when soft, but I've never tried it.

Dave St

I used sport racket grip, cut it into small sections and built up the area required, then a couple of wraps around the grip to hold it all in place. Ok as a trial to find how you like the grip.
I then removed the grip and used plastic padding car filler, knowing roughly how much to put where. It sets in approx 10 minutes and can be sanded shortly after, remodelling the grip took around an hour with sanding down.

Dave.