Hoyt Gold Medalist Review

BGMIKE

Hey Just want to get opinions from people who own, or have used a Hoyt Gold Medalist before? I have seen the Hoyt GM, with epic limbs, and liked it as a bow to start Archery with. Any suggestions for a first bow, and opinions about the above stated bow? Thanx

:scratchch :scratchch :scratchch

Shirt

Nice bow, I've got one as a spare, really nothing much to say about it. Bloody bargain for what it is.

PaulT

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
It always amazes me to see the GM described as a beginner's bow. It is still a superb riser and the latest bows are still little more than evolutions of it. Great value!

Radar_UK

Fonz Awardee
Well I have a Hoyt GM with Epic Limbs and it's my first bow and have to say it is serving me well indeed.

Like PaulT said there is no reason why it's called a 'beginner's' bow, I've scored just as highly as other club members with far more expensive kit !

Great bow and very happy with it :)

Medoc

Ironman
I started with a GM2 long ago then onto GM which was a faultless bow and still capable of much higher scores than me, it also was the bow that forced most of the bow manufacturers into adopting the hoyt limb fit which isnow called the international limb fit.

With good limbs on it it is still capable of the highest scores, an absolute icon in archery terms.

JohnK

Great bow. It's light (although the balance of the bare riser makes it feel a little heavier than others) and was used at the top level for many years.

However, I've seen a few twisted GMs in my time, not all of them that old. Make sure it's straight before you buy.

GeoffT

Ironman
Hoyt GM is the best value "quality" bow by a mile. It has seen off goodness knows how many generations of new and "improved" Hoyt risers over the years. Mine is so battered it has been repainted once, has long since lost it's Hoyt logos, but is still capable of performing better than me.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
"beginner's bow" :rotfl:
There's not many times you see something that's been used to shoot 1350+ scores in international competitions described that way...
It may not be considered top of the range anymore, but it's got to be the best value bow on the market...

Black Arrow

Our coach swears by them and reckons they are the best bow around. The only reason I don't have one is that Quicks didn't have a left-handed riser when I was buying

Flandyman

Mine shoots great, its my first bow. I bought it with edge limbs and I see no reason to change it for a heck of a long time ! ( till I can shoot better ) - I did have an issue with the first riser I got, the top limb pocket was out of true. On returning it the supplier confirmed the fault and stated they had checked their stock and found a good number with the same fault - that said so long as you check limb alignment is okay they are great for the money - solid !

iscap_boy

It's so damn good that i have one for about 12 years, and my father tells me that he wont buy me a new riser because the GM is very good!!!

brace hieght

i have just bought a second hand Hoyt GM 68 inches and 36ib can anyone tell me what the maximum brace height should be. At the moment it is at 9 inches from string to center of button but there is no clearance from the limb grove.
Unfortunately there is no manual and Hoyt's website does not have the information I want. Also can you damage the limbs/riser by having a very large bracing

dth

Although, I'm in the process of replacing my GM for the Matrix (it just seemed time to move on) I don't know if I can part with it - it really is that good. It was chosen after my beginner's course a year ago and it hasn't done a thing wrong - unlike the complete twit shooting it!
Unfortunately I've told the guv'nor that I will sell to help recoup Matrix costs!

:thumbsdow

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
i have just bought a second hand Hoyt GM 68 inches and 36ib can anyone tell me what the maximum brace height should be. At the moment it is at 9 inches from string to center of button but there is no clearance from the limb grove.
Unfortunately there is no manual and Hoyt's website does not have the information I want. Also can you damage the limbs/riser by having a very large bracing
Where were you looking on the Hoyt website? The downloadable Recurve Bow PDF files here http://www.hoyt.com/technical/bowmanuals.tpl have all the information for the GM, including brace height suggestions that you might need.

Incidentally Mrs Worthipa and I both started off with GM's, great bows, I think Mrs Worthipa would go back to hers given half a chance.

dino1300

I had a GM as my first 'real' bow. I saved up out of my first 6 months wages and bought a lovely metalic blue one. That was 20 years ago.

I shot many MB scores and have draws full of medals from my time with it.

Basically, as long as it is straight (you must check this), then it will be perfectly good.

I think that they only come new with powder coating now, but in the future you can always get it sprayed by a car body shop.

Random_guy

I still have mine, albeit twisted and with a slightly dodgy top limb pocket! To be honest, if i ever couldn't, for some reason, shoot my SF, i'd go back to it in a second. Even if it does look like a cross between a breeze block, a steel girder, and a polystyrene block, all painted grey....... :raspberry

Have read the manual on the Hoyt website, but still does not answer my problem. Their manual seems to show the bracing height is measured from the string to the throat of the riser, is this correct or should it be to the middle of the button. alternative sporting services have my limbs on their website (samick universal 68 inch ) and they and Hoyt are suggesting a brace height of 9 1/4 inches. Will I cause serious damage if I increase the brace height beyond this

Random_guy

Throat of the grip is right. Trick is to put the back of the bracing hight gauge (edge that would normally go on the string) horizontally in the throat of the grip, the slowly move the other end up and down against the string, watching where the string touches the gauge. The point when its at its minimum will be the bracing height.

They usually give a recommended range (i'm sure they do in the manual) in which case i wouldn't personally like to go above the max in that range. Mostly because i doubt the bow would tune and it would sound horrendous....

sandcrab2

The real question is:

*dramatic pause*

BETTER THAN THE SAMICK AGULLA???

i could either go with the agulla or the GM. The GM is actually cheaper, but the agulla comes in a package with limbs and comes with a free string/plunger/rest.