Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Recurve

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hunter Recurve

Well, it seems that wifey has agreed that my birthday present this year can be the hunter recurve I want........

Which begs the questions:

one piece vs take down?

and

at around 200, what would be a good 1st bow of this class?

I think I know the way my thoughts are going on this, but I'd appreaciate the comments based on experience of others on things to look at and things to avoid.
    Broadland Bowmen - EFAA/NFAS
    (Other archery clubs/organisations may be available)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Take downs tend to be heavier in the hand (and thus probably a bit more stable) and of course you can swap limbs as and when you need to.

One-piece bows just look amazing.

For around 200 in the UK you're pretty much limited to the Samick range, unless KG Archery makes something in that price bracket. Border bows start higher, but then you get what you pay for. They sometimes have deals on second-hand or end of line stuff, so it might be worth dropping them a line.

What size and weight are you looking for? Someone here might have something (or know someone who has) that would suit you.

Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm looking at a bow length of around 58" - 60" with a draw weight of around 35lb.

And yes, one-piece bows do look good! And whilst I know looks wont improve my scores round the course........... I mean, erm.....

I've heard some less than complimentary first-hand comments around the Samick hunters (from a number of club members), so will be avoiding them, I think!
    Broadland Bowmen - EFAA/NFAS
    (Other archery clubs/organisations may be available)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raedwald
    I'm looking at a bow length of around 58" - 60" with a draw weight of around 35lb.

And yes, one-piece bows do look good! And whilst I know looks wont improve my scores round the course........... I mean, erm.....

I've heard some less than complimentary first-hand comments around the Samick hunters (from a number of club members), so will be avoiding them, I think!
    Oh well, that severely limits your choice then

Seriously, while they aren't up to the standard of many British bows, you'll be hard pressed to find something new for a similar price. I've shot a few Samick traditional bows, and while nothing to write home about, they aren't too shabby.

Good luck

Thanks
    There's a chap selling a Hoyt Gamemaster over on the NFAS website - Despite being an AFB guy through and through I'd have that bow over any wooden riser recurve. I've owned a few recurves including a Border Black Douglas but the metal handled Hoyt GM is the best recurve I've ever shot and with a little tweak it can also accept FITA-style ILF limbs.

It's an X
    Thanks
    I know the owner of that Gamemaster very well, he doesn't think he will be able to shoot again, has got to have major surgery on his shoulder. It's had no more than 100 arrows shot from it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast