Lubricating sights

bluebow

I've lubicated my Shibuya Dual Click with the supplied silcone grease (Tamiya Ball Diff Grease). Certain sights movements were getting difficult to adjust, especially with cold fingers. It's like new now.

I think you should be able to get the same silicone grease in a good model shop - though I'm sure there are alternatives available.

greydog

Yup, another vote for silicone grease, if my bow is out in the rain all day (most tournements) I'll strip the sight down, make sure it's completely dry then put some grease on sparingly. Usually helps to clean out the old grease first with a cotton bud as it can hold dirt.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
There's a downside to lubricant, in that it can trap dust/dirt and draw it into the mechanism. I personally wouldn't use lubricant on a sight.

bluebow

Fair point that dust can adhere to lubricants, but I think the watch word is sparing use of lubricants.

greydog

Yeah, too much grease will act as a dirt magnet, if you get crud all over your sight on a regular basis. There are dry lubricants on the market now that won't hold dust/dirt but I've never found it to be a problem on a bow sight

R

rgsphoto

cliveanne said:
Strip it down, clean it, polish it with Mr. Sheen :)
Probably the best way. Mr Sheen is a water based so keep it away from from none stainless steel. Sure-loc say "don't use lubricants" so I don't. Oil/grease will attract dirt. This will eventually lead to wear, unless you continually keep cleaning the sight. Not sure it's needed. Most sights are designed to be used lubricant free. As with most moving part machines, sights wear out too. Some sights are better than others. It depends on the design if lubricant is a good idea or not. Sure-loc sights have ball bearings for the click stops adjustment. I find a little grease on these makes the whole thing nicer to use. But I don't lube the sight track.