New gear...hopefully

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Depending on my coaches advice tomorrow night, I will hopefully be going to Eastcotes in Hawick at the weekend to get some new gear.

I am looking for some advice as to where to focus my funds.

Should I invest more in the riser, limbs, sight, arrows etc. I will probably have a budget of about ?450 and was budgeting the following:
?250 - Riser/Limbs/String​
?100 - Arrows/Sight​
?100 - Accessories (quiver/Case etc)​

This is all very flexible depending on what feels right.

Any opinions???
Alistair

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Your ideas look fine to me but I would add that looking ahead could change your thinking. If the money is going to be a one off spend on archery for some time to come, then OK.
If you will be spending again in the near future then things may be different.
I say this because a sight can be bought that will last your archery career. Buying a cheap one and upgrading later seems like a waste of funds to me.
Likewise the accessories.Anything that you are likely to keep ,bowstand,quiver perhaps,can be bought once and for all. Some can wait until funds come in later.

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Thanks Geoff,

With regard to the sights thing....I am probably looking for something middle of the road. eastcotes have a "kit" which comes with a Striker X04 sight, which i believe is a fairly decent standard & should do me for a few years to come.

This applies to most of the things I am looking at - middle of the road.
Riser - probably lookat Winstar 2/Agulla/Eclipse
Limbs - Kap Challenger/SF SHC about 32/34#
Sight - Striker X04/Arten 2000
Arrows - Plat. Plus XX75's (possibly X7's depending on budget)

When I started looking at equipment, it was at the beginner stuff, but due to my probably starting poundage, this ruled out most of that gear. I have also had a nice cash boost from the sale of my guitar. As a result I want to get gear that will last a decent amount of time.

Thanks

jerryRTD

It would help others to know what you are shooting at the moment. You might have some gear that is perfectly serviceable and does not need replacing. For instance the quiver, its basic function is to hold arrows, there are other quivers with lots of pockets or leather ones but is it worth spending money on them? Will all those pockets and extras make you more accurate? no. Most archery shops will have some second hand gear. have a look at that first. The case for instance a new one will look shinney and clean but if there is a second hand one available with a few scratches on it but clean and solid on the inside is it worth paying out for the new one?
With other items that dirctly affect the accuracy then second hand items become less of an attractive propersition. I have bought a good Toxonics sight from a shop but you must examin things like that very carefully. Another item is a stabaliser you may find that some one has bought a stab and can't make it suit their bow or their particular likes and dislikes,some times these items end up back at the shop I would not think twice about buy a second hand set of beiter stabs from a reputable archeryshop as an alternative to a new set of Cartel stabs .
Risers and limbs are perhapps some thing that you should buy new, but how much on what items depends where you are and how you are progressing in the sport. If your draw lenght and draw weight have reached a point where they are constant then it may be better to spend a greater portion of your money on limbs and arrows because they are not going to need to be changed for quiet a while. If you are at the the point where you are finding the bow easier to draw each time you shoot then it will not be that long till you need heavier limbs and stiffer arrows, so why spend a lot on some thing you are going to have to change fairly soon?

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
It would help others to know what you are shooting at the moment.
Right at the start.....Last of my beginners course tomorrow night.

Second hand gear is a good way to go, and if there is something available which suits, I would have no hesitation in buying.

jerryRTD

In that case spend the money on the items that will stay with you, sight, riser and if there is enough Stabs.A good platform tab may well stay with you longer than the next set of limbs you buy as well. I like AF, you may have to trim a tab with a sharp knife to get it how you like it, some times the arrow slot is a little small. (You can always cut it off but you can't put it back).
Take the chance to get your draw lenght measured again just in case.

Kae

The American
American Shoot
Hoyt Eclipse - Fantastic Riser - Best grip available on any bow.

Spend your money on the parts that you won't be upgrading, ie quiver, sight, riser.
Get cheap limbs and arrows as these will be changed fairly soon as you get stronger/ more confident.

Make sure you take someone who knows what they are doing with you, otherwise you may leave with kit that doesn't suit you or your style.

Kae

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Hoyt Eclipse - Fantastic Riser - Best grip available on any bow.

Spend your money on the parts that you won't be upgrading, ie quiver, sight, riser.
Get cheap limbs and arrows as these will be changed fairly soon as you get stronger/ more confident.

Make sure you take someone who knows what they are doing with you, otherwise you may leave with kit that doesn't suit you or your style.

Kae
I have heard a lot of really good feedback about the eclipse - Hopefully be able to try it out.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
Why don't you give Gwynn at Eastcote a phone. He's quite a small outlet and you need to find out what he has/what he can get in for you to try etc. instead of being hopeful :cheerful:

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Why don't you give Gwynn at Eastcote a phone. He's quite a small outlet and you need to find out what he has/what he can get in for you to try etc. instead of being hopeful :cheerful:
Thats the plan.....

Kae

The American
American Shoot
sorry to stir the pot but arnt chilrtern doing matrixes with limbs for 250 at the moment?
Bloody hell that is fantastic!

Try the Matrix, as its one of Hoyts best risers, and if you can get them for that price, your onto a winner!

Kae.

A

ASW1973

limbs are the important part of any bow, the deals on ex-catologue risers are misleading as it is the limbs that are the important part so matching up expensive top class risers with poor quality limbs is a false economy.
u should buy a second hand riser and limbs and get decent sight (not less than ?60 new) and arrows that match set up!

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
i totally agree but if your new and could possibly out grow the limbs in the near future is it worth splashing the cash on them striaght away?

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
well that's what I was going to say. :cheerful: When I did cycling the advice was to spend a large portion of your budget on a decent frame, put cheapish components on and upgrade as they wore out.

Since Quicks are selling off their Matrix Riser at ?240, Chiltern's offer is not a bad one, even if you really need to sell the limbs on in a couple of months.

Certainly ASW1973 is correct in saying that good quality limbs are worth buying - thay can influence your style and attainment hugely so if you have got to the stage of investing in kit it is well worth skipping the intro limbs, and budgeting for intermediate quality at least.

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Tried several time today to phone Eastcotes....No reply. It was only when I checked the opening hours that I noticed they are closed today - Doh!!!

I am assuming that my starting draw weight will be about 32/34#. Therefore decent quality limbs should last a good while. Whether I spend ?90 or ?170 on limbs will probably depend on other factors.

I am keeping a completely open mind about what kit to get (especially the riser). My no.1 choice (without trying) is the eclipse, followed by the Winstar II. Probably stick with xx75 Plat Plus arrows. They are a decent price and get a good review.

As for sights, there are a couple, but the Striker X04 looks quite a decent one to get. This is one are where I may be able to reduce cost is required ie. a ?50 sight instead of ?75. I don't plan on spending less than ?50.

The offer from Chiltern shouds good, but I don't have time to drive there to try. If this wasn't my first setup, I would probably buy blind from the web. As it is, I feel more comfortable going to a reputable shop (not that Chiltern isn't) where I can try & get good assistance.

Thanks for all the info so far.....Roll on Saturday!!!!