Opinions of Stylist Bows

Barry C

People get good results with them and like to shoot them. But the limbs are apparantly very slow for the draw weight. There is more on sagi a while back on this if you feel like a dig there.

droseman

I shoot a Stylist as well as many people in my club. It is a very good bow and shoots far better than I can. I have rented my bow for a year and I bought it last month. IMO, its the best rental deal you can get, the limb excahnge service is worth it by itself.

I'd be interested in getting some more detail on your 'slowness of limbs' comment BarryC. I found that I had to increase the pounds a lot to get the longer distances (I shoot 26" draw length with 43lb limbs) and I only just get 90m at the limits of my sight.

Dave

Bird_2112

I had a stylist for the full 4 rental periods and then decided to return it thinking it was a bit slow (70") and with that being other peoples opinion. Bought a Winact riser with Winex limbs in August. Moved back up around 4lb to 42/43lb mark (2lb was the intention) and my sight mark only rose slightly at 90m around 2 maybe 3 tenths on the scale. Should really check it to give you the figures but its still lower than my GM with carbon limbs which I was holding 44lb on. Bit dissapointed in that and that the poundage is not closer to 40lb (they are marked 34lb and are at the lowest setting 31" arrow).

The only time I did struggle with the sight mark was when Steve sent me a pair of 72" limbs by mistake and that dropped the sight forcing me to pull it in from its normal full extension. A change of limbs back to 70" sorted it.

The Winex do seem faster so my only explanation to the lack of difference in sight mark is the position of the sight mount, distance of the arrow above the grip leaving the distance between sight ring and arrow being the only definitive comparison if I had measured it before on the Stylist.

May sell the Winex limbs to drop a bit due as I wanted to hold 40lb so if anyone is interested... hardly used the last 2 months.. drop me a line.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I loved my old Stylist, but the lack of choice of limbs made me move to something more compatible, when the bottom limb twisted.

The limbs aren't the fastest in the world, but they were good enough to get 90m when I had only 32# on my fingers!!

Steve Lingwood (the designer and manufacturer) and his wife have always been friendly and willing to help, you could do much, much worse than opt for a Stylist as a rent out bow - afaik, it's the only bow ever to come with a guarantee of straightness... now THAT'S craftsmanship (dunno if they still do though)

Oh - and one other thing... I still believe the bolt-down system for limbs to be far superior than any international limb fitting system.

MikeD

In the end I bought a second hand Winact riser with a cheap set of limbs (Sidewinder). The limbs were marked 30lbs. However I've since found I have 34lb on my fingers even though I draw only about 28.5". The libs will do for the indoor season, I'll look to get better limbs for the outdoor season and probably go up to 38lb.

LIzardEye

, In the White
I've been trying to contact Stylist for nearly two weeks as I'd like to rent one of their bows. I've rang every day and left a number of emails but have had no reply.

They are still around aren't they ?

droseman

LizardEye, here is the contact for Steve Lingwood's business - he's generally in until lunch, but Pat is generally there all day, and she will be able to sort you out. Tel - 01252 548702. Or if you are near to Farnborough, just organise to go in and see them.

Dave

LIzardEye

, In the White
Thanks Dave for the details , but are we talking abut the same Stylist Bows?

According to their website, Steve and Julie Hallard of Rugby are the people to
contact, and it's that number that I've been ringing with no success.

I'm starting to get a little cofnused about just who Stylist Bows are!

LIzardEye

, In the White
Thanks MM, that's cleared up some of the confusion.

Although he can't be distributing many if my experience
over the last 2 weeks is anything to go by.

droseman

steve hallard and steve lingwood are related, its a family business, cant remember what relationship it is though. Steve Lingwood will be able to sort you out

Dave

Blackarrow

I shot a Stylist for a year and even won a tournament with it, handed it back at the end of the years rental as I was going to work in Canada for a few months and bought a Hoyt out there (where they are much cheaper).

I thought it was a superb bow, I still occasionally wonder wether I should have kept it. As for the renting one, it's the best way to get a world class bow for such a cheap price.

Also the limbs I had didn't seem to stack as much as other bows I've shot, which I thought was great.

I would definately go back to one.

Blackarrow

BTW I don't work for Steve Lingward, but I did meet him when I went to pick up the bow and he was a very nice person.

When I wanted to swap to heavier limbs he sent me the new ones to try before I sent back the one I already had.

Excellent service.

T

TimCroot

I agree with Blackarrow, I shot one with several limb upgrades for a year and was pleased with it. Being an odd sort i didnt go with the purchase of it but got a Hoyt from the US instead :tearsofjo

For a first bow i would give it 10 out of 10 due to its limbs exchange programme

archerzzuk

Not sure if you have found out by now, but Steve & Julie Hallard do the bow hires from Rugby (advertisement in Archery UK). Steve Lingwood makes the Stylist bows near Farnborough. Steve Hallard is Steve & Pat Lingwoods son-in-law. Hope this clears up some of the confusion.