Pda Software

del

Have just been given a PDA as a present and now want to know

which scoring software to put on to it.Will I have to purchase one

or are there any free downloads that will do the job as good.

any help!

DEL.

Munsterman

I use Bowbuddy on my IPAQ 2750 and it works well for me. I also have accushot but use it less. I hve to say that I am not the most dedicated of PDA users so often put info i retrospectively, so could get by with a PC based program.

Tobytoolbag

Fonz Awardee
I too have an iPAQ, which uses Microsoft Pocket PC, and I've also got Bow Buddy scoring software (for which you pay $40 - about 20 quid) installed, and have been mighty impressed with it. I believe it'll work with PDAs running Windows CE and Windows Mobile.

If you've been given a Palm PDA, Targetplot is the one to go for - there are several forum members who will doubtless 'wax lyrical' about it before too long...

Free/cheap software? - tried a good few of 'em before settling on Bow Buddy, and I have to say that they're not worth it - you may as well write your own spreadsheet on your PDA to add up your scores (that's what I did before deciding that dedicated software was a better option!) rather than faff around with the (mostly) badly-designed and implimented free/cheap software...

Flying Whale

If it is a Palm device you have you could also look at Target Archery Suite. It is not free, but it is not expensive (about 20 quid), and you can download an evaluation.

I have not tried TargetPlot, so I can't compare I am afraid.

J

John (OSF)

I used targetplot for years but decided to go back to paper about 2 years ago as it was giving me more info than I wanted during a shoot and I found if a pain to see in sunlight (Zire 71 and previously on a Palm3).
I find the simplity of paper records less intrusive.
Strange this as I'm gadget crazy!

Flying Whale

I used targetplot for years but decided to go back to paper about 2 years ago as it was giving me more info than I wanted during a shoot and I found if a pain to see in sunlight (Zire 71 and previously on a Palm3).
I find the simplity of paper records less intrusive.
Strange this as I'm gadget crazy!
I am pretty much in the same position. While not gadget crazy, I do like toys....I even wrote some small applications for the Palm (see below).

I have returned to using paper at the moment too, since I want to try and concentate on my shooting, and I was finding it distracting trying to see the thing in sunlight

I wrote a handicap/classification calculator for indoor and outdoor rounds (for my own use, since the handicap tables are copyright, and I do own a copy).

I have also written an application (looks superficially quite like target archery suite) to allow you to plot your numbered arrows up. I have also written a conduit application (to automatically pull the data off), and a PC based analysis program to then plot all the arrow data, and analyse it to pick best arrows. (Just imagine if you can pick the best grouping set of 3 arrows for indoor, and you can pick up just 1 point every other end, then on a Portsmouth you can add 10 points to your score).

Having said all that the Palm is a lovely device, and I will probably return to Target Archery Suite (at least indoors).

Alex Greig

I would say go for Escorepad. Really simple and easy to use. The only thing missing is Frostbite and 3 spot fita from the rounds section but otherwise it does all the duties of a scorepad.

wymkof

E-Scoepad is nice and easy to use. Needs a few extra points like ability to record practice sessions and keep a track on classifications. Other wise it is the best.

its my party and

Ironman
Bow Buddy! For MWA

Ive just downloaded the evaluation copy and Im mightily impressed. Ill give it a go for the twenty tries allowed and then Ill see what happens! Im a dedicated PDA user having mine with phone wifi bluetooth and Infra but I cant seem to get it to save to an SD card phaps this is something you can do on the full version.
Id hate to lose a score if I hadnt written it down!

Tobytoolbag

Fonz Awardee
Im a dedicated PDA user having mine with phone wifi bluetooth and Infra but I cant seem to get it to save to an SD card phaps this is something you can do on the full version.
Id hate to lose a score if I hadnt written it down!
I've got the full version, and the ability to download scores to elsewhere automatically is one thing that BowBuddy really lacks (although there is a 'backup' facility which seems to save everything to a location of your choice...)

However, if you have your phone/PDA 'sync'ed up with your computer, you can access the program's files your phone/PDA with your computer's File Explorer (Go to My Computer>Mobile Device>My Windows Mobile-Based Device>Program Files>BowBuddy>Shoots), and you'll find all your shooting session records in XML format, named by date, which you can copy to your computer without too much hassle. And since they're in XML format, you can easily import them into an Excel spreadsheet...

Andy

E-Scoepad is nice and easy to use. Needs a few extra points like ability to record practice sessions and keep a track on classifications. Other wise it is the best.
The next release will include classifications and the ability to define you own round.

It will also have the Australian Archery Handicaps and classifications as these are not copyright.

Andy

So it could be used for NFAS rounds then?
At the moment it can only handle standard target faces and fixed numbers of arrows. Once I have completed all the work I want to do on the target rounds I will have a look at field. But this will not be soon as I sill have some big areas that I want to sort out.