Quicks to stock Titan recurve scopes

SimonW

Quicks are due to take delivery of Titan recurve scopes in the next couple of weeks.

I've been using mine for a month now and it is very nice. The clear lens (non magnifying) comes with either a dot, a circle or a hole to take a fluo pin.

The dots/circles are stick on transfers and can be changed to differing sizes.

The fluo pins come in differing sizes.

Simon

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
whats the advantage of these for recurve Simon? using a beiter at the mo but may consider a change as the orange bit just lit up on the weekend and made it hard to see anything

SimonW

Hi Alan,

much nicer than Beiter (hmmm, tries to define "nice"). Also better than the spigarelli pin I had before.

You get the benefit of a tunnel (framing etc.)
The fluo pin is much smaller (so doesn't dominate the gold)
I get the feeling that I'm looking thru' a window at the target, rather than trying to place a finite dot on the gold.

Hard to describe, all I know is that it really is "nice". You need to try one if you can just to see.

I haven't tried the different reticles (the stick on transfers). I think I'll experiment indoors.

Simon

GreenSteve

errrm i`m confused and hopefully not alone
i thought that "scopes" were not "legal" on recurves same as release aids
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
GreenSteve said:
errrm i`m confused and hopefully not alone
i thought that "scopes" were not "legal" on recurves same as release aids
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
The Titan Recurve Scope is plain glass, it doesn't magnify like a compound scope.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
yep - it's a non magnifying piece of glass and also b***dy expensive :)

SLOWHAND

I've seen these scopes (Grant has one) and they are very well made and impressive bits of kit. I'd love to try one out but my only concern is getting the glass wet or misted up in the rain.

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
hey slowhand,

thats what i was thinking off too.

cheers for the reply simon. i may well try one and see how they compare. gotta be better than the orange mass i had this weekend just gone.

Al

Tox

Clear Recurve Scopes

Back in the dark ages, about 1970ish, I entered the Middlesex OPEN champs. I had been away for a few years to foreign climes- South Wales.
No one knew me on the line, so fearing I might be a threat, my equipment was scrutinised very closely. The judge was summoned and I was forced to dismantle my home made sight. I had used a perfectly flat piece of thin 2mm plastic, with a painted dot in the centre. I was told that it was an illegal lens.
I pointed out that it did not magnify. More tests by lots of the gathered populace, and it was decided that even IFthis was the case, it was deemed to be a plain lens!!!!! This was illegal under GNAS Rules. I was ordered to change the sight pin, and this too was thoroughly examined, even though it was a straight metal pin.:thumbsdow. It had the desired effect, I had to start afresh to re-sight the bow.I found out later that The complainants were all members of two clubs, one in Middx, one in Surrey. They sorted out the potential County and Visitors medals before the event, by entering from whichever Club was likely to produce the desired results to scoop the most medals!!!! Couldn't happen now,- could it?
Have the Rules changed? Can we now use PLAIN lenses?
I would love to fit a compound sight to my recurve. Target at 100 yards, looking like 50, and double the size? Even I can hit the D**N thing at that distance!!!!!!!
How will this be policed to stop the possibility of a 'slight' magnification creeping in?
Bring back the Elastoplast and dressmaking pins. That will sort everyone out.
Regards Tox.

Last edited:

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
The Titan Recurve scope has been passed as FITA legal, so I suspect they misinterpreted the rules back then.

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yes but the catel will probably fall apart.:muted:
I like the titan but even I wont pay that much for a sight pin. Ill stick with me Beiter sight pin for now, even thats quiet expensive.

D

Deleted member 74

SLOWHAND said:
I've seen these scopes (Grant has one)
Two actually, but I won't be petty! ;)
Tox said:
I pointed out that it did not magnify. More tests by lots of the gathered populace, and it was decided that even IFthis was the case, it was deemed to be a clear lens!!!!! This was illegal under GNAS Rules.
They were wrong. A lens is defined by its ability to focus light. If it is flat with no focusing power, it's not a lens. Otherwise, windows could be called lenses, when they clearly aren't! The rules haven't changed, just the understanding of the rules. That was the reason for my letter in Archery UK about a year ago - I haven't been questioned about it since.
Ditto...
:muted: I'm waiting for Cartel to make a rip-off...:muted::flamed:
It's unlikely. Even though Leigh hasn't patented the Titan, the components are expensive to manufacture so the price is going to stay what it is. A CNC machined body, with anodizing and stencil; a multi-coated, zero-power lens; range of inserts and the option to change aiming points; a lovely little box...

I could have just as easily used one of my Beiter pin sights, cut a bit of plastic coke bottle, stuck a circle on it and glued the two together. But I bought a Titan because I wanted something I can rely on... which is also the reason you won't ever see Cartel products on my bow setup (only my arrow puller).

CALOR

I too use a Titan recurve scope. Nobody has ever questioned me about mine, and I can't see why they should seeing it is only a clear (non magnified) piece of glass??