quiver design opinions.

Davinator

hey guys im currently doing a product design course at my college, my course basically involves me creating a prototype of a product ive designed ive decided to make a quiver for the course. ive made a few designs for what i intend to make, however i need to narrow down these ideas before i make it. so im looking for any opinions and feed back on the ideas and just basically what one you like the most.

(this isn't for a business venture this is solely for my course.)

thanks, Dave

Picture1.jpg

Bald Eagle

I don't think they would work! Arrows are straight so would require a straight quiver, the quivers in the picture seem to be curving around the contours of the back.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Um. It might work. It depends on how big the tube area is. Trad back quivers aren't a close fit for the arrows (ones I've seen, at least), more a sort of long leather bucket slung on the back. The test would be in how easy it is to put arrows in and get them out.
A prototype in felt or craft foam, would probably test the ergonomics...

I'm assuming a lot of the lower curve is non-functional, or shorter shafts would just disappear into it!

I quite like the look; kind of streamlined and organic.

Davinator

this is only meant to be a preliminary design, i have 5 more but it wont let me post them. @ baldeagle yeah i understand arrows are straight :) it is just to show the premise of the idea, in theory the parts will be in separate segments and will stop bending at a certain point to avoid breaking the arrows the anthropometrics will be sorted out later on.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Re: number 2;
Well.... The thing about most quivers is that they are not terribly heavy things, in relative terms. Stick too much extra on them and that would soon change, and might make them burdensome.
It's also difficult to see why you would when there are plenty of other options available... Apart from that, the design looks rather conventional.

Davinator

that quiver is designed to appeal to the american hunting market so i assumed the more equipment you could carry the better, but i understand what you mean. thanks ill take that into consideration :)

Davinator

@tommyhongkong hmm... thanks i didnt think of those sort of problems the design had, what would you personally want for a wheelchair quiver? in terms of design, do you think having a dip in the middle of the quiver would make it easier to use?

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I've seen a nice leather quiver before and really its design wasn't that different from a side quiver but rather attaching to a belt would clip to the upright of the leg support. Though admittedly this was for a gentlmen with only one leg so in fairness had a bit of space to allow a quiver there.
I'm not sure how well a quiver that also belted to the thigh would work. True it would be steadier when standing still but when moving wouldn't it be still moving rather than left to right when arrows would be moving back and forth.
As for the back quivers I like the designs, though I agree the bottle holder on the front of the back quiver won't be easy to get at. The first design though looking nice I presume the original section is the only part the arrows go in, the other sections would just be for looking nice.

May I ask who is your quiver design aimed for, in the sense is it for a target archer, field archer, hunting archer, LARPer? I'm asking because each has different needs from their quiver.
-A target archer can be more bulky as really its just a place to store arrows but also protect their arrows and keep them straight,
-A field archer (I'm guessing) will want something more streamline and figure hugging, and arrows won't want to poke above the shoulder too much so as not to catch whilst walking through the forest and allow them to bend more without arrows falling out.
-LARPer will be wanting something to look nice, easily draw from.
-Hunter (again I'm guessing) would want something to allow them to move through denser undergrowth and perhaps draw with minimal movement to not spook the animal.

tommyhongkong

Currently, I'm using a traditional back quiver and use a strap to bind it to my left leg. However, the problem is it doesn't look cool :D Anyway, most wheelchair quivers are tube type which can be tied to the front side of the wheelchair. Most of them have no design at all. Look very dull compare with other people's quivers. If you have interesting idea, I'd like to know!

Sorry, I don't understand 'a dip in the middle of the quiver'.

@tommyhongkong hmm... thanks i didnt think of those sort of problems the design had, what would you personally want for a wheelchair quiver? in terms of design, do you think having a dip in the middle of the quiver would make it easier to use?