samick agulla

malcofsale

Im new to recurve archery and looking for my first bow..im looking at the agulla..price is attractive..any body know if this bow is good for beginners or should i go for the ultra?

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
I bought an Agulla when I needed my own first bow and it is fine. Paint finish chips easily.
If you have not finished the beginners course I would advise waiting to buy anything until the club coaches advise you - use the club kit until then. Things change rapidly at first and you don't want to end up with unsuitable kit.
I would also suggest trying different risers in your hand as you may not like the feel.

vics

I have been shooting a samick aguilla know for twelve months, and find it to be a perfect bow for the beginner,as trunkles says it does tend to chip easy. I bought mine 7 months on from the beginners course, it is my second bow.
If you have not finished the beginners course you would be advised to wait until you have, then you will have a better idea on what you require.

malcofsale

thanks

taa guys..i will wait until end of training and seek advice from coach..since u mentioned the paint issue methinks i may go for thesamick athlete looks a nice bow

tel

Fonz Awardee
I shot an agulla as my first 'proper' bow - still have it and struggle with the concept of getting rid of it! It quite happily took me to first class, and I'm quite sure would have taken me further if I hadn't decided I needed something 'shinier' - certainly a good intermediate. ;)

LineCutter

My Agulla got me to Bowman, no problems. Outshot a load of shinier bows in the process too.
The paint chips easily though.

DivingBirdie

My first bow is a Hoyt NeXus. Serving me well, lifetime warranty and such...

Club mate got an Agulla, one of the screw bushing came off and he had to glue it back... And yes, paint chips so easily you wouldn't know how it happened

Thunk

Ironman
I too have an Agulla, although I no longer use it. And yes, the paint finish looks wonderful when it's new but chips so easily that it soon looks tatty. It's about time Samick joined the 21st century and started anodising their risers!

worstwhiteblues

Hi

I bought an Agulla at the back end of July. Quite happy with it, no paint chips (apart from where the limbs fit). A good beginners/intermediate riser for the money.

Cheers

Martin

mixi

Go for the Ultra, it's one of the best bows ever made. It has probably won more major tournaments and set more world records in the modern era than any other bow period.

tel

Fonz Awardee
Go for the Ultra, it's one of the best bows ever made. It has probably won more major tournaments and set more world records in the modern era than any other bow period.
Hmm....interesting to see those statistics.
Anyway, as the original question was about the Matrix, it might be worth noting that an Ultra could set you back an extra 50% ish...

mixi

Hmm....interesting to see those statistics.
Anyway, as the original question was about the Matrix, it might be worth noting that an Ultra could set you back an extra 50% ish...
It is the only 1400 riser.

Thunk

Ironman
It is the only 1400 riser.
Bearing in mind that Malcofsale said in his post that he 'is new to archery and looking to buy his first bow', I think the 1400 bit might be slightly academic?

mixi

Bearing in mind that Malcofsale said in his post that he 'is new to archery and looking to buy his first bow', I think the 1400 bit might be slightly academic?
Well he can spend 100 today and 300 later. or just 300 today. My point was that the Ultra is capable of shooting to any level, I see why people buy cheap limbs but not cheap risers as it's a false economy in the long run.

tel

Fonz Awardee
....My point was that the Ultra is capable of shooting to any level.....
and so is the Matrix if its the bow that suits you...horses for courses etc.

(ps I know there is a bit of a cross-post thing going on, still applies)

mixi

and so is the Matrix if its the bow that suits you...horses for courses etc.

(ps I know there is a bit of a cross-post thing going on, still applies)
We can play this tennis game all day long Tel and this is my last shot before I give up.:burp: Your very right there is little to choose between the two of them or for any other top end riser, I think* an exfeel holds the mens record with Oh Kyo Moon. Though surely the Nexus and Helix have moved the game onwards:stirthepo I just pointed out that the highest score ever was with an Ultra and also an Ultra was used to win the world cup this year if I have my facts right as I believe Park Kyung Mo still shoots an Ultra. There has to be a good reason why it has been in production for such a long time and it is surprising that it isn't very popular on these shores. I doubt anyway that most people know what is right for them or not, most people pick bows by looks and how the stock grip feels to them.

DivingBirdie

Like some people said in many other posts... The riser shoots many times better than you can, if I were you, I'd choose the one I think is best looking, and in my case.. It is the Helix,

But I got a NeXus for some stupid reason, still great-looking!