String Twists

wingate_52

Is there an increase or decrease of string/bow noise, thus performance with more or fewer twists in the bowstring> if you had 2 strings of the same materials with a 1/2" difference in overall string length. The bracing height could be at a predetermined optimum. And...

JohnK

Errr, what?

If you're asking whether two strings of different lengths but twisted so they produce the same bracing height would sound or perform differently, the answer is "probably a bit, but you'd have to try it to find out."

joetapley

I don't know of any case ever having been made linking string/bow noise and performance.

As an example flight shooters use minimal string to maximise arrow launch speed and the string frequently snaps - very noisy :)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi,
Am I right Wingate52 in thinking that your question is about two strings of different initial length, but twisted by different amounts to give the same bracing height?
If I understand the question properly, I would say that the longer string will be heavier than the shorter one. That will effect the speed of launch (slower)
and the dynamic spine of the arrow(it will react as stiffer)
I would not know which would perform better as that would depend on which dynamic spine was better for your set up. The heavier string should sound quieter as it is slower.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
BUt how much does a half inch of string weigh? And considering that the extra weight is distributed down the whole length of the string (and not like, for example, brass nocking points, placed in the middle)....

But it would take, what? 20 to 30 twists to bring the longer string to the same point as the shorter one?
I could see that might make a difference in the performance (not necessarily in favour of the shorter string - it depends which one is the right length). But it's not a "noise" issue.

cecile

The more twists, the more absorption of energy there will be. Combined with more weight, you will have a string that will reduce the bow efficiency a little compared to a shorter string with less twists.
However, the longer string with a lot of twists may help you to lower the vibrations ofr the bow (but better check and set the brace height properly).

On the contrary a string with no twist or very few will induce hard work for the limbs. A minimum amount of twists is required to avoid that.