Tents.....

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
With the Scoco fast aproaching, I was thinking about tents....

Having never been to an outdoor shoot yet, I was wondering what the percentage was that took a tent/shelter with them and also what sort of size.

I am considering getting a cheap tent from Tiso for the sole purpose of using for archery comps, but don't want to show up at a shoot only to fins that no-one else has one.

If you do take a tent, do you take it to every comp, or just the ones where the weather looks dodgy???

If you are going to Scoco, are you going to be using a tent/shelter????

ThePinkOne

I tried a cheap beach shelter for a while (?5 from a m-way service station) but in the end got a pop-up bivvy- which is loads better esp when on your own. Some of these bigger tents are nice, but not so quick and easy to put up/take down.

P.

cornish george

I tried a cheap beach shelter for a while (?5 from a m-way service station) but in the end got a pop-up bivvy- which is loads better esp when on your own. Some of these bigger tents are nice, but not so quick and easy to put up/take down.

P.
And just about everyone takes one everywhere, to hide from the sun or the rain, beach shelters are just about big enough to keep your bow outof the weather.

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I bought a cheap beach shelter from my local co-op yesterday. It only cost ?7 and will be getting its first outing at ScoCo. It looks just about big enough to fit me and my gear (I'll know for sure tonight when I have a go at trying it out :D).

Ffish

Up until yesterday where we got thoroughly soaked, I was a fan of the humble beach shelter to keep my stuff dry, but sometimes you need just a bit more so that you can shelter from the downpours and the inevitable sunshine when we finally get some. There was a huge array of pop-ups, right through to 6 berth sleeper jobbies, which were tall enough for a 6' person to stand up inside at the Middx Champ's yesterday, and I think that's definitely the way to go.

I'm going to take a look at a camping shop today, but if unsuccessful, I'll be getting one of these.

Tents

We tried shelters & fishing umbrellors but the only thing that realy works is the "popabivvy" its light to carry an is assemble in seconds. There's enough room for 2 at a push and your gear. Bowaport sell them for around ?55.

regards
TT

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
I'll be going down to Tiso today, so I'll have another wee look. (My brother's the manager, so I get a good discount....:cheerful:)

General Dogs

There are three in our family who shoot so upon entering our first outdoor tournament (yesterday) we checked the weather and saw rain, rain, rain....

Dashed out on Friday and bought a toilet/utility tent - about 7' tall and room for 2-3 people without overcrowding the line. As far as the shoot went yesterday, the tent was a great investment and will follow us on every shoot from this day forth!

jerryRTD

With the bank holiday weather I am begining to think that the type of tent with the 'door' that extends one two poles out the front is the best to get as you might be able to shoot from inside the tent.

john rowland

With the Scoco fast aproaching, I was thinking about tents....

Having never been to an outdoor shoot yet, I was wondering what the percentage was that took a tent/shelter with them and also what sort of size.

I am considering getting a cheap tent from Tiso for the sole purpose of using for archery comps, but don't want to show up at a shoot only to fins that no-one else has one.

If you do take a tent, do you take it to every comp, or just the ones where the weather looks dodgy???

If you are going to Scoco, are you going to be using a tent/shelter????
I normaly always take my pop up , but today of all days i forgot the dam thing , and it rained all day John

BillM

If anyone coming to ScoCo does not have a tent/shelter they can borrow mine for the day. Just let me know and I'll bring it on Saturday.

BillM

MINIMike

How do the pop-up bivvies stand up to the wind?

I really could have dome with one yesterday but I'm concerned they may not be sufficiently rigid.

Huffy

The pop-up bivvies do flex a lot in the wind, its a question of getting the guy ropes tight enough but with no poles its always going to be a problem.

Best wishes, Mark Huff

Shirt

I figured out long ago that if it's not raining heavily, you'll not notice a difference by hiding in a tent when you're not on the line.
And if it is, you can usually find someone who will let you leave your bow in their tent over lunch (or shove it in the car).
Have a brolly for when you're not shooting, and you'll stay about as dry as a lot of people on the field, and you also have the benefit that you don't then have a horrible wet tent to try and dry out somewhere when you get home.

tel

Fonz Awardee
I figured out long ago that if it's not raining heavily, you'll not notice a difference by hiding in a tent when you're not on the line.
And if it is, you can usually find someone who will let you leave your bow in their tent over lunch (or shove it in the car).
Have a brolly for when you're not shooting, and you'll stay about as dry as a lot of people on the field, and you also have the benefit that you don't then have a horrible wet tent to try and dry out somewhere when you get home.
Excellent point! But 'someone' needs a tent...

J

John (OSF)

I just store my gear in the tent (popabivy) , it's also very handy to eat in when the weather is really bad.I leave my bow outside all day
Don't be a selfish groundhog popups are the best (imo) and can be put away in their waterproof bag when wet and dried in minutes when you get home

Shirt

Excellent point! But 'someone' needs a tent...
For that impossible day when I turn up to a shoot and there aren't enough tents to house the Sixth Legion in the correct style, my bow fits very nicely across the back seat of my car when I take the longrod off. :)

J

John (OSF)

I just store my gear in the tent (popabivy) , it's also very handy to eat in when the weather is really bad.
Much better than a groundhog tent imho