Training Aid

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I'm after something that would allow me to fire my compound without an arrow in, I have seen some Pneumatic thing with a lazer but it is $150 :jaw-dropp, anyone recommend something cheaper MUCH cheaper.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
What exactly is your intention? Do you wish to go through the whole shot sequence but have no space to shoot for real?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Well, you can set up a Formaster for that, but I've never done it myself, and I understand there are issues around the kind of Formaster you use (rigid or elastic).
Then there's the various sorts of 'airbow' - pneumatic devices. One UK product is the Skorten Exerset, which I believe attaches at the longrod bushing. They let you 'shoot' the bow without an arrow, but it won't feel the same as a real shot, and it will take some fiddling with the balance to get it to feel the same as your normal setup.

Formaster and Exerset prices are a lot less than the $150 mark you mentioned, IIRC.

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
geoffretired said:
What exactly is your intention? Do you wish to go through the whole shot sequence but have no space to shoot for real?
Sort of I already shoot a couple of times a week. It is more for aiming practice holding form, stamina training, I find my aim wavering as I get tired so was toying with the idea of practicing indoors, holding the draw and aim for extended periods 30 seconds or a minute at a time, probably followed by a release, I could do this and then let down but the chance of dry firing would increase as I got tired.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
So, you can't shoot into a small target? I practise in the garage at 3yds. It's almost realistic except there's no wind. You can deliberately move around as if blown by the wind, it delays the shot and is more realistic than just holding still for longer.

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
geoffretired said:
So, you can't shoot into a small target? I practise in the garage at 3yds. It's almost realistic except there's no wind. You can deliberately move around as if blown by the wind, it delays the shot and is more realistic than just holding still for longer.
It is a possibility, would not want to miss as the arrows would go straight through my garage door, and there is a window the other end.

Anyone Got pictures of a Rigid formaster in use, I could make one of those.

Yea I know I'm cheap.

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Thank You that was just what I needed.

Its amazing what you can do with an old Lanyard and a Boot Lace :cloud9:

In case you were wondering I DID NOT use the clip on the Lanyard, I did a strength test on it before I started it failed so it is knotted.

And Yes I have just realised I lean back a little I will have to look at that, also my string arm elbow is a little low, anyone think I need to shorten my draw a little? Its only 26" now :grumpy:

Last edited:

Bald Eagle

You look fine as you are, only thing I can comment on is your release hand, keep it level, then you don't torque the "D" loop. you are "behind" the shot so it will be a suprise loose.

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Bald Eagle said:
You look fine as you are, only thing I can comment on is your release hand, keep it level, then you don't torque the "D" loop. you are "behind" the shot so it will be a suprise loose.
I am using a rope on the release so Torquing will not be an issue, Im going to experiment with dropping 1/2 inch off the draw to see what it feels like (real easy with a Hoyt), if I like it that would Definitely put me in Equalizer territory too short for an Allegiance ;)

greydog

Could just be the angle of the photo, but make sure your bow arm shoulder doesn't start to drift up, as that will shave a bit off your draw length as well as affect your form.

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I think that is the angle of my spine Im leaning back a little, plus Im fairly muscular for a little guy and that makes my shoulder look high (having said that it is fairly obvious I haven't been near a Gym in years, Having kids wreaks your figure :weepy:), Ill see if the shorter draw will stop me leaning and lift my string arm a little.

I am going to wind the power up on the bow when I get new arrows in a few months that should easily compensate for a slightly shorter draw if I end up going that way. May even end up with slightly shorter arrows.

greydog

pwiles1968 said:
Having kids wreaks your figure :weepy:)
I hope you didn't get too many stretch marks :D

You can definately gain a bit of speed by shortening your arrows, if you go down the shorter draw length route