What recurve?

Windknot

I'm thinking of joining the local archery club so I can get more shooting done- they have indoor facilities- but I'll need another stick if I want to shoot with them.

Do you have any recommendations on basic FITA recurves? How's the W&W Evolution II do? Anything else in that price bracket you'd recommend?

And if you have a decent RH bow (36-38#@28)selling for sane money please let me know.

Thanks,

Jakes

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
i think most bows in that area are ok. make sure it has tiller/weight adjustment and international limb fitting. this will ensure you can get the most out of your bow in terms of progressing (e.g. when moving up on poundage etc).
would you be looking to keep this riser for some time, i.e. not just as a starter?

Al

Medoc

Ironman
Definately go for international limb fitting, and if you are on a budget, invest more money in the limbs (new if possible, if 2nd hand try to get their age and usage if possible) as they do all the work, if you get a 2nd hand riser the likelyhood is that apart from cosmetic damage it will be ok. Once you have this setup you will be able to upgrade easily, most retailers now offer Korean accessories, sights stabilisers etc, these are excellent value for money and will complete you setup at not much additional cost.

Windknot

My budget for the bow is around ?125- I have some arrows, and I'll worry about stabilizers later.

I'll be shooting mostly indoors- on weekends I'm a field archer. I probably won't be upgrading anytime soon, so what I get had better work for me.

JohnK

Right. Well, the problem with the Evolution II is that it's a 23in riser. Some gents (assuming you're a gent) will have problems with the short sight window on such a riser. However, given your budget it's about the only bow within reach, unless you find a good second-hand bow.

If you can, try one with a sight on and see whether you have a problem seeing the sight ring when shooting at 20 yards.

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
JohnK said:
Right. Well, the problem with the Evolution II is that it's a 23in riser. Some gents (assuming you're a gent) will have problems with the short sight window on such a riser. However, given your budget it's about the only bow within reach, unless you find a good second-hand bow.

If you can, try one with a sight on and see whether you have a problem seeing the sight ring when shooting at 20 yards.

sorry windknot. didnt realise it was 23". there must be some good recurves in this price range though.

al

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Price is a bit light, unless you're going second hand. e.g. cheapest 2004 model KAP Winstar riser is ?70.98 and cheapest KAP Challenger Craft limbs are ?72.98 - total ?143.83

Evo II is OK, some of our adults are shooting them quite hapilly, but I'd strongly suggest you try before you buy.

IMO, a second hand GM and decent set of second hand limbs would be best bet and most future proof, IF you can find them - just make sure they're straight and undamaged.

HTH

Sponge

Fonz Awardee
I shoot with the Winstar and Challenger Craft limbs (70", 34 pound limbs, 41 pound with my 31.5" arrows)

Works very nicely for me but I am a total notice. Available easily in left hand, which I found was a problem trying to buy second hand. A lot of second hand is riser/limb sets which is very hard for long left hand bows.

Sponge.