Wooden Helix Grip. WARNING

Deadeye Doc

I was forewarned by the Junior Aardvark at the Bronte weekend shoot that the Hoyt wooden grips for the Helix were at last likely to arrive this week. I had been waiting for one since February, so I was fairly chuffed.:starry-ey
I arrived in the shop yesterday - we shoot on Friday evenings and my work ain't all that far from Aardvark HQ - and was greeted by the Aardvark-in-chief saying "you might be disappointed". My anticipation was not dimmed by this remark.:burp:
Duly fitted the grip and shot with it last night. Deep gloom:thumbsdow
The grip is not a patch on the plastic version. It is markedly thicker at the throat and far more bulky in the hand with a very prominent ridge - possibly useful to someone with hands like a gorilla:lookaroun - fitting into the groove between what are technically called the thenar and hypothenar eminences. I could not achieve any consistency of feel with the grip and was not at all comfortable with it.
BlueBow and I compared the grips and they are completely dissimilar. :rottentom
Although, theoretically I could whittle the grip down it seems to me that Hoyt have made a considerable mistake with this grip. Whittling would not be my choice as the grip of the Helix is one of its big selling points so a big :raspberry :raspberry :raspberry for this grip. Caveat emptor!

D

Deleted member 74

From what I have felt of the Helix wooden grip, I liked it. It took more getting used to than the plastic grip, which is very nice, but it still put my hand in the right place. It also makes for a consistent shot. But I will agree, those who are expecting a wooden version of the plastic grip will be severely disappointed.

VentunoVirus

My mum just got the wooden grip for the helix and she prefers the rosewood grip because of the colour. She has had no trouble with the grip and I dont think she has even noticed there is a difference in the shape. Thanks for pointing that out- im going to mention it to her.

By the way- my mum got her helix in time for Christmas- did anybody else get their helix before then? she claims it was the first in England?

Last edited:

Field Archer

Deadeye, sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the Helix wood grip. I have been using one for about two months.
When I was first saw it, I would agree with you first sight impression, it did look a little strange. Very soon after using it I found my hand went in to the same position every time without having to think about it. I have quite small hands and the grip doesn?t feel big at all. The grip also helps to rotate the bow arm so that the elbow is in a better vertical position.
My advice is, just give it a chance and try it for a few days.

VentunoVirus said:
By the way- my mum got her helix in time for Christmas- did anybody else get their helix before then? she claims it was the first in England?
Not the first in the country, I shot one at Wales Archery last October, but maybe the first be be owned.

Furface

Supporter
Field Archer said:
Not the first in the country, I shot one at Wales Archery last October, but maybe the first be be owned.
Oh Field Archer, have you just offended every Englishman and Welshman on the site?

Field Archer

Furface said:
Oh Field Archer, have you just offended every Englishman and Welshman on the site?
Oops, my mistake, I should have said in the UK. :blush: :footinmou

But to be fair Monmouthshire was part of England up to about 1550 :duck:

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
from what i have heard there are in fact 2 version of the wooden grip for the helix. an ortho one and another one or summin.

aint been able to find any pcitures of them though

Al

Field Archer

It's the Ortho grip. Mine came from Wales Archery, but I see that Quicks are now advertising a wood grip for the Helix.

I have just measured the throat of the plastic and wood grips, they are both the same width.

SimonW

I have the ortho grip as well.

When I got it I really thought I'd been sent a left handed grip by mistake.

I posted on saggitarius about this (there's a thread going in the equipment section).

The ortho is designed to roll the bow hand round so the thumb is lower than the knuckles - this in turn is meant to position the bow arm (and particularly the elbow) so that the arm is more vertical - it requires a locked elbow which in turn promotes bone stacking and less muscle usage.

You'll see a lot of the Koreans with this type of bow arm.

For me it was a complete no-no. My bow arm and elbow wants to rotate naturally the other way (so that it is more horizontal than vertical - see Rick McKinney).

I have since modified the grip so that it feels much better. This took two attempts.

It's not perfect but it fits better than the plastic grip.

I'm waiting for the ergo wood grip which hopefully won't need so drastic woodworking attention.

The rosewood is lovely - I just need to varnish it!!

Simon

currie1014

Have just shot with a friend of mines new helix with the wooden grip and it was awesome...i at xmas changed to a matrix and now am not sure if i want to change again

VentunoVirus

hey- on closer inspection, my mum has a wooden grip that is identical to the plastic grip. It is made of rosewood and we bought it from a shop in Derbyshire

Deadeye Doc

VentunoVirus said:
hey- on closer inspection, my mum has a wooden grip that is identical to the plastic grip. It is made of rosewood and we bought it from a shop in Derbyshire
Curiouser and curiouser! Contrary to the measurement of Field Archer mine is wider in the throat than the plastic grip. The consequence seems to be that I will have to alter my clicker to accomodate this. I rotate my elbow vertically with a reasonably relaxed forearm which was noticeably difficult last night with the wooden grip. The remainder of the grip is broader and flatter than the plastic one. It looks like the model in the pictures. I was unaware of there being two models.:rottentom No mention of this in the Quick's catalogue.

Dark Horse

Sorry to hear your grip wasn't right on Friday night Doc. Maybe another night and a bit of trial and error and the grip will feel better and give better results.

JohnK

Field Archer said:
Oops, my mistake, I should have said in the UK. :blush: :footinmou

But to be fair Monmouthshire was part of England up to about 1550 :duck:
And strictly speaking, Wales is a principality, not a country. :running:

Only kidding. ;)

I've heard some good reports of the Ortho wooden grip thus far. I'm definitely going to pick one up and give it a go.

Kae

The American
American Shoot
Hey Field Archer, just noticed your pic, so your longrod from saggi?

Sorry still settling in here, so not worked out everyones alter ego's :yummy:

How similar is the wood grip, are they the same angle etc as i am still after one, but I like the shape of the plastic one (it's just too slippy).

Cheers, Kae.

Field Archer

Kae_ said:
Hey Field Archer, just noticed your pic, so your longrod from saggi?
Hi Kae, I am both :highfive:

Kae_ said:
How similar is the wood grip, are they the same angle etc as i am still after one, but I like the shape of the plastic one (it's just too slippy).
Cheers, Kae.
The wood grip has a similar profile when viewed from the side, but if you look at the third picture you will notice quite a steep angle on the contact edge.
I liked the plastic grip, but I like the wood grip more.

Kae_ said:
hehe, someone else with a green fusion, two down one to go, now who's got the other?
Ken Hall, another field archer in Somerset has the third green fusion Helix.