Advice on Easton Ace Spine

harvyedavies

Hello all, could I pick the collected wisdom of you all please? I am currently using a set of second hand 28" 620 spined ACE arrows with inserts at 49g and points of 41g. I've been increasing my poundage and am now drawing 41 lbs on my fingers. I have recently tried tuning my bow and have found the arrows are very weak, I can bring them back in to tune by dropping the draw weight to 38lbs. I have borrowed a set of 570 spined ACE of the same spec as my 620s and these tune perfectly at 40 lbs. I am increasing my draw weight to 43/44lbs and will need to replace my 620's - my question is from peoples experience how the spine relates to increased poundage - from my practical experience it looks as though a spine of say 620 will be good for a 3 to 4 pound range which would mean I would be looking at 520 spined arrows rather than the 570s. I know I could also use other methods of weakening or stiffening the arrows with inserts and point weights but I'm trying to find the best baseline arrow spine and then do the fine tuning with draw weight changes kept to a minimum.

mf78

From my experience, I'd expect the 520's to tune quite well at that length when you up your poundage to the 43/44lb mark.

jadams

The arrow length I shoot is spot on 28" to the end of the carbon, Beiter pin-out nocks, spinwings, Easton 1-piece 90g points. 16-strand 8125 strong with Beiter nocking points. I shoot 43lbs on my fingers and have done for about 12 years. 570s are spot on for me, I have also shot 620s (apparently the correct spine according to Easton charts) and they do come out a bit weak but were still shootable. Have also tried 520s and they are far too stiff for me.

Draw weight and shaft length will be the biggest determinants of dynamic spine and bow match but you will also influence this a lot with string weight (material + number of strands and nocking point type), tab face material (if I use cordovan my 570s come out spot on, but with a standard leather face the tune comes out much stiffer: the bare shafts will move about 8" out of the fletched group at 30m!) and the characteristics of your shot. So 570s work for me with the same shaft length and draw weight as you shoot but it may not necessarily be the right spine for you. If you have length to play with in front of your clicker position then often the best way is to go for a spine which you think will be on the stiff side at your preferred arrow length but cut them 1/2-1" longer than that so they should be weak, then gradually trim the front down to stiffen them until they tune up spot on.

At your weight and length my money would still be on 570s.

Darryl

According to the Easton Spine selector software for 43/44lb @ 28inches the 620s should still be fine but I have heard that ACEs are a little on the weak side in regards to the selection guide. So I'd be inclined to go 570s or 520s. Can you not go to a shop that offers a service where you can try arrows before you buy. I think Wales Archery and Perris offer such services.

aquatoo

It will also depend on the speed of the limbs concerned. A set of basic limbs may well tune okay at 40lbs with 620's but a quicker set may need 570's. Bow poundage is not always indicative of speed, try changing sets of limbs, same poundage, leaving everything else the same and see what happens to your sight marks at 100 yards!
They will be a lot better with a more expensive limb than they will with a basic set.

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
I got some diamond advice on here from Alastair Whittingham when I asked the question of ACE's 18 months ago.

He said 40lbs, 30" is a 470 bang on (backed up by a little survey too). He was not wrong. Down 2" but up 4lbs puts it oneish spine lighter. 520 *might* be the play.

That's 2 boxes out on the chart. Keep the faith and try them if you can.

harvyedavies

Thanks again for the responses - have sourced some 520s to test with and will let you know!! Shooting with Hoyt RX and F4s so aquatoo you may be right and its the speed of the limbs causing the spine issues (I see you are Streatley based do you shoot in the Reading area?)

aquatoo

Thanks again for the responses - have sourced some 520s to test with and will let you know!! Shooting with Hoyt RX and F4s so aquatoo you may be right and its the speed of the limbs causing the spine issues (I see you are Streatley based do you shoot in the Reading area?)
I belong to Harlequin Bowmen, who shoot at Harwell and to Bowmen of Warfield who are near Wokingham although I don't often get to the latter due to distance from me.

My own experience was changing from a set of middling Samick limbs to Inno EX Power and finding my 620 ACE's too weak. I shortened the arrows, fitted inserts and piles totalling 95g and stiffened up the button. Not ideal but it works for the moment. I shoot 38 on the fingers.

I have a friend who has just gone to the same limbs and is having the same problem with spine issues. I think I might take a trip to Perris Archery after Christmas and use their arrow selection scheme.

Big.Dave

Spine I go by the Easton chart its always been spot on for me. The 3 main that I look at for dealing with spine are button tension, point weight and draw weight for the bow. With referance to point weight I do not go below 100 grains because I believe that at distance the arrow will track better. other things that can affect spine are in no particular order
1) form
2) number of strands in the string
3) fletchings
4) Stabilization
5) Brace height
6) Arrow length
7) nock point
8) Type of nock
8) Center shot
9) Point Weight
10) String materal
11) Button pressure

So to keep it simple go to a good archery shop and find an arrow spine that allows the arrow to clear the riser and better still gives a good bare shaft results at 30m. Don't forget FoC if you are planning on shooting distance Eastons guide lines are all you need. form is more important then equipment.

MSR

AIUK Saviour
I have just realised that I posted this in the wrong thread! I will copy it to where it should go. Sorry ;-)

Stray post removed :poulies:

Mind you, I shouldn't be surprised by this. In the past I've shot the wrong target, and now I've posted to the wrong thread!