Anyone shoot barebow recurve?

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
As I'm currently sans sight on my recurve, I assume that's considered barebow (if not, please correct me). Just wondering if anyone shoots barebow recurve, and if you can provide any tips for aiming. It would be interesting to hear the benefits and drawbacks, too. Thanks in advance! :archer232

jadlem

don't use a mediteranean loose, have all three fingers under the arrow, get the nock up infront of your eye and sight down the arrow, can adjust for range by moving fingers up and down the serving

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I've seen other barebow shooters taking the nock right past their eye and almost to their ear and slightly angling their shot down. Is that right?

Does it make a difference what kind of arrows you use?

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Nice example, FA. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Is it just field archers who shoot barebow or is shooting target acceptable?

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Barebow is shot in all disciplines Clicki.

I've only shot barebow field in competition, but as you've got to set the thing up and practise, as with any other bow/arrow combination, barebow target archery does have it's followers.

Mick

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Well, until I get a sight, I'm going to have to shoot barebow. At least now I have a clue where to start! Thanks chaps :highfive:

Field Archer

Barebow is a highly respected class and the best can keep up with sighted archers. If you like it stick with it. :arc:

KevinH

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
when I shoot barebow I like to keep things as close as I can to my normal recurve form. So I use a mediteranean loose, and aim by lining up the curve on the top of the sight window against a spot picked on the target. I find this works well for me, but I only shoot barebow for fun, and at a limited number of distances ( 2 ) so I can easily remember the aiming points.

Kevinf2349

Unless you really 'want' to keep shooting barebow you can always use a makeshitf sight using a glass headed pin and some sticky window draught excluder.

I am sure that some purests would contend that if you are truly feeling the shot you shouldn't need a sight.....but I use mine. :)

<---------<<< Keep it in the custard

Oh just remembered.....as I recall another really useful tip when shooting barebow is to make sure that the metal detector is working!

Flandyman

clickerati said:
As I'm currently sans sight on my recurve, I assume that's considered barebow (if not, please correct me). Just wondering if anyone shoots barebow recurve, and if you can provide any tips for aiming. It would be interesting to hear the benefits and drawbacks, too. Thanks in advance! :archer232
Hi,

I just spent 10 mins putting together a reply - covered stringwalking etc - went to submit and lo I was logged out by the system! so all my words of wisdom were gone - lucky escape for all - if you still want to know about barebow and stringwalking let me know - I shoot this by choice and string walk as a standard.

Hood-Robin

A regular visitor to our club in Leamington Spa is Steve Partridge a BareBow archer of some distinction, be interesting to know if Steve is know by anyone else on this forum. To get to the point. I was shooting recurve alongside Steve shooting barebow last friday and could not help noticing his grouping at 18m an average of 20 to 35mm for 6 arrows end after end after end. What was also worth watching was that he was not shooting at a target but at a bare part of the Butt. I think Steve was NFAA World Champion. I may be wrong and someone may no better. Someone on this forum may know his history. It certainly is an eye opener to watch someone at this level. I should be a great archer as I shoot with Steve Partridge one Side and Naomi Folkard on the other. My scores are still crap but Iam learning a lot LOL

Flandyman

Hood-Robin said:
A regular visitor to our club in Leamington Spa is Steve Partridge a BareBow archer of some distinction, be interesting to know if Steve is know by anyone else on this forum. To get to the point. I was shooting recurve alongside Steve shooting barebow last friday and could not help noticing his grouping at 18m an average of 20 to 35mm for 6 arrows end after end after end. What was also worth watching was that he was not shooting at a target but at a bare part of the Butt. I think Steve was NFAA World Champion. I may be wrong and someone may no better. Someone on this forum may know his history. It certainly is an eye opener to watch someone at this level. I should be a great archer as I shoot with Steve Partridge one Side and Naomi Folkard on the other. My scores are still crap but Iam learning a lot LOL
Hi,

I have shot with Steve once, I had the pleasure of shooting the IFAA UK championships in Scotland with him last year - he really is that good out in the field at all distances ! He became UK Barebow Recurve champion that weekend

It gives me hope that if I persevere I may one day shoot as well (a man can dream !)

This is Steve on the left doing what he does well - 65yds downhill at the UK2005 comp

Shirt

Remember that target - it was a lot of fun. Thought it was better on the hunter round because you had all the fun of a walkup...

And yes, Steve has won pretty much everything that you can do in terms of IFAA barebow. It's important to remember, though, that the style of barebow he shoots allows a clicker, so it does remove one of the greater problems of barebow. :)

JohnK

Yes, I've heard of Steve, and seen photos of him shooting with a clicker.

Out of interest, what bow is he shooting now?

IGH

Portsmouth, Hove, Brighton and Hastings.

My apologies for my denseness in advance. I'm just a dedicated garden shooter, so I have no idea about particular terms used in archery. I've tried Googling on this, but...What's a 'Portsmouth'?

Also, I'm interested in eventually doing barebow indoor target archery and don't quite get the scoring system. What on average would a good local club shooter get - how many arrows for what score - in what Indoor archery would call an 18m/25m match? Thanks.

MelT

J

John (OSF)

get the nock up infront of your eye and sight down the arrow, can adjust for range by moving fingers up and down the serving
Please don't put the nock in front of your eye :thumbsdow have it below, and you can still sight along the arrow to the tip and use 'point of aim' sighting. I'm not a 'know it all' I just don't want you getting eyeball damage if anything at the nock-end goes wrong