Archery whilst Pregnant

JellyBaby

This might seem like a strange first post, but I'm anxious to know the answer.

I've only been doing Archery for a couple of months and I've just found out that I'm pregnant. Will I still be able to shoot?

I asked my midwife, but she says she doesn't really know much about the sport but that I shouldn't do anything too strenuous. I explained to her that you don't really use your stomach muscles and you don't draw the string across your stomach either, but she advised against it (I think mainly because she's not sure)

I can't cope a whole 9 months without archery, does anyone know if it's safe to shoot whilst pregnant?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

jaarus

Hmmm interesting question...

...first of all congratulations!

Secondly well I would guess that like everything (practically) concerning pregnancy its fine up until a certain point I would guess that yourmidwife should have been a little more forthcoming.

I would suggest that you tell her that you find it very relaxing etc etc and even have your bow setup to show her one draw if he/she visits you at home - may look a little strange carrying it into your local clinic!
If you cant do that eg local clinic then take in some photos and explain that you draw from the back etc.

Hope its all good

Kae

The American
American Shoot
I've known a few archers that have shot whilst pregnant (and I don't know any that didn't for 9 months).

Take it easy, and when you feel it's too much, just stop.

Kae.

ferret

Fonz Awardee
yes during the early months ,many ladies before you have with no problems.
+ the excersize is good for you,take it easy and you will know when it's time to stop.

congratulations and welcome to the forum:cheerful:

h20vrrq

My wife is six months pregnant and is still shooting. She takes it easy and stops when she gets tired. 12 weeks to go.........

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
We had a pregnant woman on our beginners course this year, and she had no problems apart from a little soreness in the lower back. I expect that would be the main potential problem area, given the body's weight distribution.

Furface

Supporter
Yes, firstly congratulations.
Secondly, pregnancy is a very individual condition, and the effects vary considerably. Sometimes this affects the whole bone/muscle set-up, particularly towards the latter stages; strains can occur even doing light tasks you carried out easily before. But, as usual, the answer is to listen carefully to what your body is telling you, and don't ignore it just because it tells you to stop doing something you could easily do yesterday.

reckless

Fonz Awardee
This might seem like a strange first post, but I'm anxious to know the answer.

I've only been doing Archery for a couple of months and I've just found out that I'm pregnant. Will I still be able to shoot?

I asked my midwife, but she says she doesn't really know much about the sport but that I shouldn't do anything too strenuous. I explained to her that you don't really use your stomach muscles and you don't draw the string across your stomach either, but she advised against it (I think mainly because she's not sure)

I can't cope a whole 9 months without archery, does anyone know if it's safe to shoot whilst pregnant?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
spoke to midwifery tutor at colleg (im a final year student nurse) in relation to shooting abow while pregnant.
she said NO PROBLEM.. especialy within the first 2 trimesters. need to watch out for a couple of things thereafter. will need to adjust your stance a little wider to copensate for eehhh forward weight isues. also as you will be rotating your pelvis and pulling in your stomach muscles during a shot sequence. you will be placeing extra strain on the blader muscles, in the main this is a good thing as it will keep the bladder toned just make sure you have voided before shooting, to avoid any leaks (sorry), also during pregnancy you will be placeing extra strain upon your lwr back and archery will further agravate this, just be aware and if you feel pain stop for a bit.
basicaly shooting a bow will not harm you or your baby, in fact quite the oposite, so shoot away.

J

jojo

If I was a woman and I was pregnant would I want to give birth in front of all my clubmates, hrmm interesting question, that was the thought that ran thro my mind LOL.

Go for it gal.

And anyhow gotta get the weee blighter educated early in the fine art of archery.

SVL

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Congratulations on the pregnancy.

I am an archer who has shot while pregnant (twice)
For the first child I shot for about 8 months, even competitions. While for the second I shot for about seven months and did my coach course and exam (they very kindly let me wear a quiver, rather than have to pick arrows offf the floor)

I was back shooting within a two months both times.

Take it one day at a time and listen to what your body is telling you. As you progress you will get tired so reduce the number of arrows you shoot and stick to short distances or ask somebody nice to collect your arrows from the 80y target. When not shooting sit down and keep up your fluid intake.

Good luck with everything
Sandra

JellyBaby

Thank you all for the replies! :)

I'm so pleased that it looks like I won't have do without archery for so long. I think I'll do as you say, and just take it each session at a time (luckily, with it being the indoor season, I won't have to walk too far at the moment)

FlightyRachel

Fonz Awardee
Hiya, and many congratulations! :cheerful:

I took golf lessons (why I can't imagine?!) and learned to drive whilst I was pregnant (as well as carrying a huge 3 year old around as she refused to walk anywhere...) . You'll be fine :) Listen to your body, and rest up if you are tired.

Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy!