Arrows too stiff or other issue?

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding bow alignment and sight picture; when at full draw, am i right in thinking the back of the bow (and the long rod) should be facing directly to the target, and the arrow should be pointing roughly one arrow's width off to the side as measured from the string? The reason i ask is because when i shoot like this, the arrow hits far right (I shoot left handed)...like on the next target over right...and the only way i seem to be able to get the arrow in the gold is by taking the sight out to its furthest extension which then means the longrod/back of the bow is no longer pointing at the target. I am currently not shooting with a plunger but my arrow rest has a small plastic tab that i think serves roughly the same purpose. My conclusion is that i think my arrows may be far too stiff, does that sound a reasonable conclusion? If anyone has any other ideas as to what could be causing this i would love to hear them. Another, possibly unrelated thing i have noticed is that my string isn't as 'tightly wound' as it used to be...i wouldn't say it was quite fraying but it looks a bit 'puffy' if that makes sense; could this have led to my draw weight decreasing and thus my arrows becoming too stiff?

Thanks all.
Think there's possibly a few things to look at here. First (I read the US forum as well) my instinct is also that 1816s are likely too stiff for your draw weight too. But if you are off on the next target, there's also a chance you are sighting with the "wrong" eye - something for you just to double check. The way you've described alignment is pretty much what is normally suggested (although it's normally checked at rest, not at full draw} although I've found you can go closer to centre (less than an arrows width outside the string line) and still get a good tune as long as you don't get arrow contact with the bow on the shot.
Have you measured your bracing height - if your string is not so tightly wound as before that could be making the bracing height lower and sending them further right than before - check the manufacturers recommendation and put twists back into the string until you are within spec (then wax it to keep them in), or get a new string. Strings are meant to be used with plenty of twists in, if yours now has none, it will tend to "balloon" out some, and will be going slower (same sort of effect as reduced draw weight, but different cause) - which could be adding to the effect you are getting.

Good luck and let us know what the answer turns out to be. :beer:

blakey

I reckon you might have your plunger across too far. One arrow width is too far, I'd say half an arrow is more like it. Bring your plunger in until you get on the target, and then start worrying about stiffness. Stiffness is more of a thing when bare shafting to get a fine tune. But basically vanes or feathers will get an arrow on target if centreshot is correct. Good luck. :)

urbin

You should be checking string alignment *at rest*, not at full draw. String down the centre-line of the bow, arrow just to the right for a left hand bow, and ignore the longrod. There's an alternate theory that says a parallel shaft can also sit right on the string line instead of off to one side.

Your string *picture* is done at full draw.

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Weird - the forum now says I started this thread. Clearly I didn't. Has the original post been deleted?