Back to front ACEs

Mick

Ironman
OK this leaves me wide open for a Fonz award.
Today I decided to shorten and refletch some 470 aces, I stripped them down to bare shafts and carefully cut 5/8" off the front. I then rebuilt the arrows. As I was putting them in my arrow case, ready for a tourney on Sunday, I noticed to my horror that the logo was the wrong way round. Yeah I'd somehow turned the bare shafts around on the bench cut from the back instead of the front,fitted the points in,what should be the back and fletched the front.
B&%%*?&s.
The arrows were on the weak side so cutting from the back was not the disaster it could have been, any way I decided to try them as they were (fletched and pointed at the wrong ends) at 30m. Suprise of suprises they grouped tighter than I can normally group them, better still the bare shaft was smack in the centre of the group. Now I'm tempted to use them in the tourney on Sunday but will I have a nasty shock when it comes to the sighters at 100yds? The only difference I can see is that the barrelled section is now about 1" nearer the front than the back. the oppersite to the norm. Won't be able to shoot at distance before the tourney and I have a spare set of arrows so I'm not too worried. But am I likely to see some dramatic aeronautics at 100yds Anyone any idea? Would appreciate your imput Joe.

Bald Eagle

No, they will fly true! A top recurve archer in our region does this all the time, he turns them around when they get worn at the pile end! Says he extends the life of his shafts.

Thunk

Ironman
Off tbe top of my head (most of what was on the top of my head is gone anyway) I should have thought you would get slightly better sight marks, in that the turbulent area behind the nock should be slightly smaller and cause less drag. It'll be interesting to know how you get on.

Mick

Ironman
Decided to go with the back to front ACEs in the tournament yesterday...MISTAKE!.... Struggled to get them on the boss at 100yds , must have had 8 Ms on my score sheet and ended up with a personel worst St George score. Ok it was breezy and cool and the scores were generally low but although the appeared to fly nice and straight, the bl***y things just would not group even at 60yds.
So I'll reverse the points and fletchings and hope I can tune them before the FITA star next weekend.
Incidently Thunk, The sight marks were the same.

D

Deleted member 74

Marcus will probably know the story better than me, since it was in Australia. After Easton originally developed the ACE and a few guys had bought them, one top recurve archer came to a FITA with a new set of ACE's. He shot very well indeed (something in the region of high 1200's) and managed to win the tournament by a fair margin. It wasn't until after the competition ended that someone pointed out to him that several of his shafts were fletched at the opposite end to the others. Nobody had ever known about barrelling of shafts so it didn't make any difference to him which end he fletched.
Easton spends millions developing the world's best shaft to date and someone disregards all of their engineering work to plug in a winning score...
At least you fletched them all the same way around! :D