Limbs Best limbs under ?300

mikearky

Hi everyone, looking for some advice. The missus is shooting well (too well as she beats me on a disturbingly regular basis) and a couple of people have told her that better limbs (she's currently using SF elite fibre foam limbs) could make a real difference to her scores. So my questions are:
1. How much difference and why (ie. less stacking, quicker, smoother, etc)
and
2. What (in people's opinion) are the best limbs out of these carbon foam ones (Kaya K3, SF Elite Carbon foam, MYbo Synergy Carbon, Win and Win Rapido, Win and Win RCX100 and Win and Win Winnex)
Thanks in advance guys.

adamroe

Just to add one more option into the mix, the Uukha EX1. They have given me the boost I needed... my Portsmouth scores went from the 550 range to high 570s. Outdoor I noticed a real difference in speed and saw my groups improve very quickly, possibly something to do with the carbon monolith design allowing for plenty of torsional stability. I'd say these offer some of the best value for money at the moment.

jantar77

Supporter
Supporter
I would say SF Elite carbon/foam and W&W Rapido will be close match as they're both made by same company and seem to use same materials. Winex are a bit stiffer and because of how W&W marks the weight I would go for 2lbs lower than what you want. e.g. 40lbs SFs or Uukhas compared to 38lbs Winex limbs. Actually this probably applies to all W&W limbs. Uukhas have some good reputation for torsional strength and smoothness of draw cycle.

Also what about Fivics (Taken V or Titans still under 300)? Everything from Fivics I saw in the last time seems to be high end quality for very reasonable mid-end price.

hawmjans

When reading this I wonder if the bow/limbs/arrow combination the misses is using is already perfectly tuned or not ?
It might be worth wile to have a reputable shop/tuner look at this first.

Secondly I would not advise to switch from SF Elite Fiber to SF Elite High Foam, since apart from the material the weight and torsinal stiffness does not differ much. If upgrading go for a higher quality light carbon limb (like the Uukha's or W&W Inno). But please first try before you buy!
If the misses does not like the feel/draw of these limbs she will never have enough confidence to use them optimally.

OskarsL

Just to add one more option into the mix, the Uukha EX1. They have given me the boost I needed... my Portsmouth scores went from the 550 range to high 570s. Outdoor I noticed a real difference in speed and saw my groups improve very quickly, possibly something to do with the carbon monolith design allowing for plenty of torsional stability. I'd say these offer some of the best value for money at the moment.
+1 for Uukha EX1, they are great limbs for the money they cost. Would definitely consider another Uukha limbs if I ever want to upgrade.

buzz lite beer

Less glass fibre in the build would increase speed as would the use of 45 degree carbon laminates (also improving torsional stiffness) the W&W Winex, Rapido & RCX-100 fit the bill :)

blakey

This. :D

For under ?300, the Winex limb is definitely the one to go to first.
For me Winex are the best limbs I have ever shot. I keep buying others, because I like playing around, but as yet nothing I've shot comes close to Winex. I highly recommend them. :)

PFC1968

I would agree with Butt Face and Newbie, Border limbs are very smooth and fast. If you considered 2nd hand, I would go for the HEX5 or HEX6, which would come into your budget. If going for the HEX5 or Hex6 I would recommend though that you go for a couple of pounds under what you have in mind, as in my experience my HEX5's feel heavier to draw than conventional limbs, I don't know about the CV range as I have never tried any.

Stretch

If shooting well enough to justify the upgrade she'd also be sensitive enough to feel the difference between the different types of limb. At this price it really is worth trying out key contenders. If you can't try them they cease to be key contenders :) Many moons ago my wife opted for wood core Winacts over any other limb on the market (some double the price). Don't fall for the hype of speed and torsional stability - getting on with the feel is way more important (once you are looking at quality limbs).

And I always fall for the marketing hype... New... Shiny... Expensive... Oooooo

Stretch

bolerus

bit over 300, but Border CV-H?
I suppose the answer depends on whether you are prepared to buy second hand or only want to buy new.

for a tad over 300, the border CVs are an option.

but if you look on ebay for example there are a set of win win ex primes for 285.. and that is without even looking at the list.

new win win winex are about the same price, as a comparrison

T

the-poet

I would buy new and if your chasing target scores why not spend the extra ? and get what everyone else is shooting.

And i doubt it's borders.

steve Morley

I would buy new and if your chasing target scores why not spend the extra ? and get what everyone else is shooting.

And i doubt it's borders.
YES be a sheep lol

I've shot a few limbs from the cheapest to the most expensive, not all but enough. For Target Archery speed doesn't come high in priorities and smoothness and stability are more important traits, for Field/3D speed does factor in if you don't use sights but the people that know their stuff still tend to put speed as a lower priority.

My current limb is the Border CV, I have shot the Hex's and very nice but I'm shooting better with the CV limbs. I recently got some Kaya KStorms for Indoors which would come in your price range. I really like Kaya, I had a set of Tropics before. Border make a good performing product with very high quality workmanship.

Sometimes I wonder if everybody shoots the same limbs because they're scared to step outside the box and be different. Shoot what's right for you and not somebody else.

It's hard to see through the hype, everybody claims their limb is the most advanced on the market, in truth it's hard to find a bad ILF limb, the market is small and news travels fast.

Stretch

YES be a sheep lol
It is a fair point... But the counterpoint is that there are VERY few non-sheep who can prove that their alternative choice really does outperform the flossy-kit.

I spent 7 months trying to get a set of Border XP10 Evos to shoot well. They did not (for me), going back to my previous limb added 50 points to my FITA scores and most of that was at 90m.

If you select from extremes you are more likely to find something that does not suit you. (Not that the Evo was that extreme). I'm not slurring Border - fab quality and radical, imaginative concepts. But... It would take a lot to convince me to part with that kind of cash on a whim again. And personally for incurable inadequacies in my form I could not shoot some of the new extra low brace height models.

It's a head or heart vote. The safe place to put your money is with the sheep. Baaaaaaa.

Stretch

steve Morley

It is a fair point... But the counterpoint is that there are VERY few non-sheep who can prove that their alternative choice really does outperform the flossy-kit.

It would take a lot to convince me to part with that kind of cash on a whim again. And personally for incurable inadequacies in my form I could not shoot some of the new extra low brace height models.

It's a head or heart vote. The safe place to put your money is with the sheep. Baaaaaaa.

Stretch
The Border CV's are pretty much a standard limb profile and don't require a low brace height, mine is low 8.5" but no where near the Hex6's and 7's. I would rate the CV's up against the likes of the W&W top performers

W&W and Hoyt out shadow Kaya, In my opinion it's an underrated limb because everybody is so busy being a sheep. The K7's were used by one of the Italian archers who won team gold in London 2012 games and seems very popular with top Barebows in WA Field/3D.

If you have the money then nothing wrong with the brand leaders, I'm never going to be standing in an Olympic arena so I'm happy to support the underdog. Something to consider if Hoyt and W&W totally dominate the market they can charge whatever price they like, a varied and competitive market is good for consumers pockets.

The key point is not the label stamped on the limb but what quality/performance you get for your money. when you look into the materials going into the limb in a lot of cases the extra price is just for the fancy graphics on the outside.

Stretch

I'd rank Kaya as pretty mainstream brand these days. AFAIR Nespoli shot K7 at the test event but had switched back to K5 by the games. The K7 seemed very fast and very noisy. But a fast 7 is still a 7. The K5 is a nice limb that shoots well.

There are many more brands than Hoyt and W&W that have demonstrated international competition winning performance - Sky, MK, Ukkha, Kaya and Fivics just to pick the obvious ones. (Leave Samick out for now)

The market domination issue is way less of an issue than it was 20 years ago. And in fairness if you look at W&W they have an entire brand line set up to sell not quite the latest and greatest gear at affordable prices in the SF line.

I just wish Border would put their limbs in the hands of some world class target archers - just to see. But they won't. And if financially they don't need to because they are selling as many limbs as they can make then why should they? But for the risk averse that means putting your faith in proven kit. Baaaaaaa

Stretch