border limbs with helix issue

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
other month i shot at oxford H2H (and good fun it was too) and a polish archer - apologies i forget his name - commented that my limbs wernt sitting right in the limb pocket (no he didnt have 6million $ man eyes - we were doing that man thing of comparing kit...)

he wasnt doing this to put me off by the way it was a genuine observation.

anyhow we noticed that the back of the limbs sit about 4mm higher off the limb pocket face than on other peoples helix (heli?). someone mentioned this should only be a gap of around paper thickness

he said it maybe a tiller issue or something.

on further investigation it appears to be the shape of the bottoms of the limbs by where the fixing bearing is - the borders appear to be more rounded and thicker than other limbs.

is this something that will cause problems? although they dont sit in the pocket the same as other limbs they are secure and fit the same eacht ime they are strung, but can this lead to perfomance issues?

i was going to email border about it but im not sure if its worth it (mountain out of a mole hill maybe??)

any thoughts appreciated
a confused AL

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Email Border for advice. Their customer service is legendary :thumbsup:

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
Email Border for advice. Their customer service is legendary :thumbsup:
i decided to email them anyway. they can take a while to reply but yes their customer service has been excellent to me and others in the past.

was just wondering on other opinions really.

Al

buzz lite beer

when I got my first ex-feel riser, I had a set of border XP10 limbs, they fit snugly into place in the limb pockets so snugly in fact that there was absolutely no way any adjustment could be made for limb alignment, Had a trip up to Border, Sid was well baffled he measured the limb pocket area he physically compared them to another set Border and a set of Hoyt limbs that a customer had sent to him for a re-finish job, exactly the same dimensions, he even dug out an ancient set of limbs all measured up the exactly the same he suggested that somewhere along the line the goalposts had been moved by W&W he asked me if I would like the limbs machined down to fit better in the new riser I said well they don't fit as they are and I'm without a bow unless they do, he just took them to the workshop got one of the lads to check and measure everything and got the limbs down so there was exactly 1.5mm gap either side of the limb pocket for any future adjustments.
Do a side by side comparison if possible with another set of borders. Just looking at both my sets of limbs Synerzy and set of XP10 Evolutions can see the difference in design between the two clearly like that you have mentioned and that's all it is a design difference its what Border do to alter geometry and other technical wizardry to get higher performance than other limb manufacturers (think it there to give more pre-stored energy earlier in the draw stages)

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
cheers buzz,

so did you lose performance after you had them altered then?

just to clarify the difference is the borders seem much thicker by the dove tail bearing holder than on others limbs. hard to explain but i cant do pics at the moment sorry

buzz lite beer

Not at all, The alteration to my limbs was due to a different problem the flat face area of my limbs was to wide to fit in the limb pocket, You, I believe have nothing wrong with your limbs at all, as I stated Its just a Border design to alter geometry to get more power sooner a bit like what I would describe as Increasing the brace height but without reducing the power stroke by having the limbs pointing in a more forward direction when initially strung. If you are shooting well and nothings rattling and coming loose don't worry about it, I initially assumed when reading your thread was that the problem was due to the guide posts not being slotted into the grooves in the limb pockets, just resting between the pocket face and the weight adjustment screw, I've seen this happen a few times especially in the hast of setting up quickly.

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
yeah ia gree with what your saying buzz and now you mention it can see the logic behind it (the diffferent design).

i just wanted to make sure really - put my mind at ease if you will

Stretch

Doesn't sound like the issue but just in case - you can make the limb sit closer or further away from the back of the pocket by rotating the dowel of the alignment system (remember to undo the grub as well as the main locking nuts). The new Hoyt dowel system is pretty clever design; that you no longer need to move the dowel when adjusting the tiller bolt. However, I think for best results you do need to adjust the dowel a little at extremes. (Which you had to do with the Axis and early Aerotecs :faint: )

I can adjust my Helix so that the limb sits anywhere from flat in the pocket to sitting well off the base - using G3, Samick Extreme or Winex. Bow is noisier when the limbs are hovering off the base, for me, but shoots OK.

Not sure I'm picturing your problem quite right though.

HTH

Stretch

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
hey stretch

thats bang on the buzzer mate - i did try that but it didnt make an awful lot of difference. will have a proper look when i can though