Bracing Height

sky_high30

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Okay, I know the answer to this will be "Just shoot the damn thing and find out what's best", but can anyone advise a bracing height range for a 25in Samick Masters, with short W&W Synerzy's, making it 66in 32lb? We can't find the manual anywhere, so some idea of range would be useful. I've seen 7.5-8.5in banded around, does this seem sensible?

joetapley

Well for comparison I use a 25" samick masters riser and Masters limbs 66" (36# at 28"). BH is 9" to the button.

Simple guide is to have the string lifting out of the limb grooves about 0.5" before the end of the grooves.

A lot of stuff around about fiddling about with bracing height with respect to noise and vibration. Never noticed that it made any difference myself.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
sky_high30 said:
Okay, I know the answer to this will be "Just shoot the damn thing and find out what's best", but can anyone advise a bracing height range for a 25in Samick Masters, with short W&W Synerzy's, making it 66in 32lb? We can't find the manual anywhere, so some idea of range would be useful. I've seen 7.5-8.5in banded around, does this seem sensible?
That sounds a little on the low side.
W&W recommend 20.5cm to 23cm for a 66" bow. That's about 8" to 9" (at the pivot point - remember, button position isn't necessarily the same thing). The Hoyt range was a little narrower IIRC. Something like 8.25" to 9". If you go as low as 7.5" you might have problems.

JohnK

9in for a 66in bow sounds a little on the high side to me, but then I don't shoot Samick limbs.

In my experience, it's not just a matter of setting the bracing height to where the bow is quiet or where the string fits nicely against the limb grooves. My 70in XP10 Evolution limbs were very quiet indeed at 9.5in, but I had to bring my sight in to reach 90m. Later on I discovered that they were equally quiet and stable at 9in, and the cast of the bow was improved so much that I could leave my sight out to hit 90m.

Based on this experience, I try to find the lowest bracing height at which the bow is still quiet and fairly vibration free.