Buying new setup, anything I need to know?

Druppes

Hi,

My new riser has just arrived and i'm heading down to the shop tomorrow to get everything I need for my first bow setup. My question is; Is there anything I need to know before going in, mostly if I need all the bow accessories straight away.

I have been researching bits of kit so I have some idea what I want but my plan is to just ask the staff whats best to get.

I have some ideas already, I am shooting with a 28lb at the club so I guess Ill stick with that as to not be over-bowed, (i'm slightly shaky at full draw should I consider 26lb?) was thinking to get the SF Elite Fibre foam limbs at around ?95.

I have thought a little about arrows and probably going to go for some aluminium XX75s as there fairly okay value. The ACCs are bit too expensive i guess.

As for stabilisers/plungers/clickers whats the suggested approach? Get everything or upgrade slowly? I was thinking maybe plunger and long rod and wait with the rest. Some people have told me to start with everything that way I wont keep having to adjust each time I add a new accessory and others said get used to the bow and improve my form first.

Also do you think the staff in the shop know what stabiliser setup would be best/good start for me? or might I have to figure out some stuff first?

As for bag/quiver/tab/stuff I guess its not so important and down to looks and feel more than anything else.

Any advice really appreciated.

Druppes

P.s heres the thread about the riser I bought. Thanks for all the help :)
http://www.archeryinterchange.com/f11/anyone-used-win-win-rapido-riser-205149/

LMK

if you can make sure the limb weight adjustment is set so that wound out they give you the poundage you are currently shooting this will allow you to increase poundage typically within a 3 - 4lb range as you wind the limb bolts in. Also worth trying different limbs as irrespective of marked poundage some will feel "lighter" - stabilisation - get what feels right for you, this is so much a personal preference choice.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Bow weight is important, the wobbles could be normal and might settle down as you get fitter and as your form improves. Going too stiff too soon could slow down that process. XX75 are good.
A plastic arrow rest is fine, no button needed with that. A longrod is a good start to the stabs, you may never need any of the others. A clicker is a good idea and costs very little. You don't need to use it until you have someone around to help you get it sorted, but at least you will know the screw thread fits your riser and it won't need a second trip to the shop.
A tab is important, get one that fits. Try it at the shop if at all possible.
A sight isn't on your list. Perhaps you are going to shoot barebow in which case ignore.
If you do get a sight I would get one that has a screw type of adjustment for up and down, those that don't have that adjustment, can slide down if they come loose during shooting and arrows start to fly too high before you notice. They tend to be more expensive but there is no need to change a sight... mine lasted 30 years and was second hand when I got it.

Phil Reay

You are talking about longrod so it's recurve. Get a halfway decent sight as the cheapo beginners sights are just too much trouble but don't go overboard. Get a platform tab (AF plastic ones are fine and they give a positive anchor point). Arm brace. The one thing everyone forgets is a wrist or finger strap. I never recommend a bowstrap as they don't give the confidence either of the others do.
Xx75s are fine at the moment and should last for the rest of the summer and a lot of archers go back to alis indoors.
Good luck and have fun

mad pasty

i am new to archery and have just bought my 1st bow, so i cant give much advise. but i cant realy notice much difference in my 26lb bow against my bosses 28lb bow, and i find easton neo arrows very good

OskarsL

Best advice that I didn't have when I bought my first bow -> Know your draw length and how draw length affects weight on the fingers. For each 1" over 28" add ~2lbs or 1" below 28" take away ~2lbs from marked length (not 100% accurate, but works out quite close).

I ended up buying 30lbs limbs, which at my 31.25" draw length were 36lbs on fingers. It was not impossible to draw back, but was a surprise when I got back from shop and measured the bow weight at the club. :)