Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing limb length

In the Green
    Thanks

Changing limb length

After a long layoff I've recently got back into archery. I'm using a bow which isn't exactly the correct length for me.
    I'm drawing 26.5" arrow and my bow is 68". From charts I've looked at, 27" arrow seems to be at the short end of arrows suitable for a 68" bow
    My limbs are just fibreglass and wood and I want to get carbon limbs so I plan to get short limbs to make a 66" bow.
    With my present limbs at 34lbs OTF I can manage to reach 90m/100yds so I have to expect that carbon limbs should also be able to achieve that. I don't want to go to heavier limbs.
    I'm wondering what differences I'll feel going from medium limbs to short limbs?
    I understand the 'pinch angle' will be slightly tighter but I can't imagine that should be that much noticeable?
    I feel that at my draw length I'm not bringing my 68" limbs up to their potential and that 66" limbs should be "a better fit" for me?

Open to opinions.

Bob

Thanks
    Um. 26.5 inch arrow would mean that your draw length was 27"+ and definitely not out of the 68" range... Going shorter would not necessarily give you any advantages, and may increase the amount of finger pinch.

With a similar draw length/shaft length, I went up from the short limbs I shot for years to mediums. I don't see any disadvantages, and it's reduced the amount of wear/callousing on my third finger.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Depends on how you are measuring 26.5"
    If it's to the button *this is incorrect* and you should add 1.75" to that (I know, daft but that's the rules).
    I'm very fed up with correcting coaches who measure draw length to the button and send folk to shops for the wrong kit. So, if you wouldn't mind, please clarify, and go from there.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Yes exactly....
    With my current shaft length of 26 3/8 inches (ex points) my draw length should be a little over 27inches - a bit under 25.5" to the button. It's the draw length which is used as a guide for the bow length and as TT says, that's measured to the pivot point, plus 1.75".
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    "Just fibreglass and wood"...
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

In the Green
    Thanks
    When at full draw with the point just coming through the clicker the groove in the arrow nock is 25.25" from the button.

Del - "Just fibreglass and wood" just means they're basic 'no frills' limbs . . .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast