Arrows Changing nocks.

C

Carebear11

Hi all,

Im sure a few of you know that I keep on smashing nocks off my Navs (bad habbit, shooting groupes at short indoor distances, I know, I know), this I dont mind, nocks are cheap and easy to replace but really what I want is to stop cracing the backs of my arrow shafts, this has happened more than once to me to say the least. I currently use Beiter In-Out's which claim to be Beiters highest protection value nocks but they dont seem to be to me.

I am thinking of changing to Easton Pin nocks, I know these are the highest protection value nocks you can get but what I want to know is will I lose any preformance going from the Beiter to Easton nocks?

Cheers,
Ian.
:scratchch

Niall

I used Beiter in-out nocks on my Navigator FMJs and did have some damage to the ends of the shafts when the nocks were hit.

Father Christmas brought me some new Navs (not FMJs) and I decided to go for the Easton pin nocks. Using them for the first time last weekend at 50 yards I managed to score a direct hit on one of the nocks and split it. There is a mark on the pin, but the end of the shaft looks ok.

I think the pin nocks can have a weakening effect on spine, but I have gone for arrows which are possibly on the stiff side anyway, so I don't think that's too much of a problem. I'm happy to replace an 80 odd pence nock rather than over ?10 on a new shaft.

Desert Archer

I shot Beiter In-Outs on my Navigators for a while but broke a lot of them and the little stud left in the shaft was a pain to get out. Switched to Easton's pins and McKinney nocks after bad luck with Easton's nocks (lots of cracking). Busted a couple McKinneys hitting them but have never damaged a shaft. Oh and I'm shooting IFAA style field so I'm not grouping as many shafts together as you probably are.

Dave

TTurner

if you like to accuracy of the Beiter nock and if your using a Beiter nock piont they why not try the Beiter pin over nock?

I use these on my x10's outdoors and will blow nocks offall the time and put a few dents into the pin but havent cracked orbroke any arrows using them!

N.Vodden

Ironman
personally think pins are worth thier weight in gold, and are definitely worth any minor sacrifice due the addition weight.

Im not that good, but indoors i have smashed plenty of nocks and 2 in particular completely obliterated, in both cases the pin that the nock sits on was mashed. One had half sliced off, the other had ballooned and was pushed open, no damage at all to the pin. Pop the rear end of the arrow in warm water to loosed the glue, replace pin and nock and its back in the quiver in 2 minutes.

Those hits would be dead shafts i have no doubt without the protection of a metal pin

Pin-outs

if you like to accuracy of the Beiter nock and if your using a Beiter nock piont they why not try the Beiter pin over nock?

I use these on my x10's outdoors and will blow nocks offall the time and put a few dents into the pin but havent cracked orbroke any arrows using them!
I agree.
I use Easton pins with Beiter Pin-out nocks.
I've had nocks shatter everywhere with little more than a scratch on the pin.
Really easy to fit too.
They now do ones that fit ACE/Navs (I have ACEs).
Hope this helps.

JohnK

I've used Beiter In/Out nocks for several years, on ACES and Navigators. I have smashed a lot of nocks over the years (more testament to the number of arrows I've shot than skill :)) but only once have I broken an arrow when doing so (an ACE on New Year's Day).

Big Dave

I use Beiter pin out nocks on my Navs had no damage to the shafts smashed a couple of nocks they were very easy to fix one pin needs replacing when I hit it full on robin hood style and gouged a big chunk out of it. since using these I'will not be going back to in out nocks because these have saved me money already and I like the extra sight marks you get with the asymmetric Beiter nocks which is a plus over the Easton nocks.
Also with the Easton nocks they are not very consistant for example I had some G nocks for my XX75's when I replaced them to Beiters I notice on removing them some would be loose some would be very tight and some would be some where in between I had also noticed this putting them in. But with the Beiters they were all the same it must be the German enginering they all had a very good fit.

artee

Try do what all we darksiders do..
Shoot triple spot faces.
Makes sense to practice on these if your groups are that good.

C

Carebear11

Try do what all we darksiders do..
Shoot triple spot faces.
Makes sense to practice on these if your groups are that good.
I do this, but its when Im shooting bareface that I tend to shoot groupes...

C

Carebear11

I thought these were only for compounders, they are symetrical are they not?

artee

You have to be disciplined.
If you are serious about your shooting, and wish to progress upto a resonable level,you HAVE to shoot three spot faces. Even if this means shooting at three separate marks on a blank boss.
Most major competitions shoot three spot faces only, you will just have to get used to it.

C

Carebear11

If you are serious about your shooting, and wish to progress upto a resonable level,you HAVE to shoot three spot faces. Even if this means shooting at three separate marks on a blank boss.
Most major competitions shoot three spot faces only, you will just have to get used to it.

I dont think you UNDERSTOOD me, I only ever shoot 3-SPOTS in competition, that fact of the matter is that when Im shooting BAREFACE Im not aiming at anything, my arm just tends to settel on the same spot on the target on each shot. Ill take my current decent level of shooting as proof that I know how to shoot on 3 spots.

Niall

Hey, don't forget, not all here are darksiders, some of us (very occasionally in my case) recurvers manage to hit the nocks. Three spot faces aren't an option at outdoor comps.

artee

I dont think you UNDERSTOOD me, I only ever shoot 3-SPOTS in competition, that fact of the matter is that when Im shooting BAREFACE Im not aiming at anything, my arm just tends to settel on the same spot on the target on each shot. Ill take my current decent level of shooting as proof that I know how to shoot on 3 spots.
I do understand.
Please read my reply again.
Dont shoot at a single point on a blank boss. Practice as you mean to compete

laminatekid

If you are using pin nocks of any description and you break the nock do not assume you arrow is saved, there is still the chance it is deformed or damaged and you have not realised.
And if you are shooting blank boss why not move your sight a little so if you aim at your last arrow you will go high or low depending on the direction you moved it.