String Changing strings....

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Is it a failr assumption that, if you change to a new string of different material, but keep the brace & nock point height the same as your previous string, that you should not get any clearance issues - providing that there were none to begin with???

Or is it a case of different string characteristics, will release the arrow with a different amount of spin, and therefore introduce fletching/rest clearance issues.

Ta.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Changing from one string to another would set me onto wanting to check things out, just to set my mind at rest. Changing materials would make me more likely to check the new set up.
For one thing, I'm just like that. For another, I guess a new material would have been chosen because it's better??? and that implies different enough to cause changes somewhere. Not knowing what those changes might be, I would want to see if I could find a difference that I could measure. I would not expect clearance issues but I would still check.

moo-mop

Or is it a case of different string characteristics, will release the arrow with a different amount of spin, and therefore introduce fletching/rest clearance issues.
I think if you were to get any issues with clearance it would be due to the arrow being released at a slightly different distance and angle from the bow system (speed of string) rather than spin. However, unless going from dacron to a fastflight-type string I wouldn't really expect this to be a issue.

Better to spend an hour or so checking your tuning, than to have that doubt in your mind.
If you're anything like me (I hope not, for your sanity's sake), as soon as something starts to go a bit iffy, that little voice in your head will start saying "Maybe the tuning's off?". Then everything goes to pot!
Peace of mind is a great boost to your confidence & increased confidence equals better performance.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Perhaps if the string has a slightly different thickness, or the serving is a little more or less grippy, your loose may be affected. This in turn may put a different degree of bend on the arrow, resulting in clearance issues.
A bit theoretical and unlikely, but possible.

MATTeL

The position of your nocking point is more likely to have an impact rather than the string itself.

its my party and

Ironman
I helped one of my old beginners from last year set up a new set of arrows on wednesday night. I was sure there was a clearance problem as his technique and set up apart from nocks being a bit too tight (see moo-mops point about being released at a different point) were okay so I sent him into the shop for a new string he went and bought a fastflight (checking nock tightness first) came out and hit gold and red with nearly straight flight as well, he then enjoyed a last half hour of shooting. We will see if he can get straight flight next week. Have you checked your nocks?