Classifications

ChakaZulu

I'm OK with how to calculate handicaps and so on. I note, however, that some classifications need you to shoot a certain distance (so a short national limits you to 3rd, even if you score a high handicap).

How does that work with classifications? If my handicap is (say) 60, but includes some rounds that don't qualify me for a classification, do I not get the classification?

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
You can get a classification for any round... but if you only ever shoot a round that gives you 1st class as its highest achievement then that is it... your handicap means nothing!! :beer:

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
I'm OK with how to calculate handicaps and so on. I note, however, that some classifications need you to shoot a certain distance (so a short national limits you to 3rd, even if you score a high handicap).

How does that work with classifications? If my handicap is (say) 60, but includes some rounds that don't qualify me for a classification, do I not get the classification?
I'm afraid you don't (I wish!!) - you have to shoot the stated rounds to get the classification; you can't just use your handicap figure. Your best bet to clarify the whole thing is to download the Shooting Admin Procedures (SAPs) from the GNAS website. Broadly for gents, you need to be shooting a 60 yard round to get second class, 80 yard to get first class, and 100yards for the higher classifications. Its a little more complicated than that though - for MB and above the qualifying rounds are 12 dozen rounds (Yorks or FITAs) so its not just the distance (and shot at record status competition too I think).

ChakaZulu

Ok, I think I'm geting there. Classification is worked out seperately from the handicap? You get your score and look it up on the handicap table and the classification table rather than looking up your handicap and using that top get the classification? (Not seen the SAP tables before - the one I'd seen had class flowing from handicap.)

Suppose I shoot recurve barebow. 3 National rounds. Scoring 250 per round. That's a 2nd because 2nd is the highest a National gives. To get a 1st I'd have to shoot 3 long Nationals?

The second part is this - I assume that if I shoot 2 Nationals at 250, (250 = 2nd class) and one Warwick scoring 160 (which also = 2nd class), I get 2nd? I don't have to shoot the same round 3 times?

rohenwto

Ok, I think I'm geting there. Classification is worked out seperately from the handicap? You get your score and look it up on the handicap table and the classification table rather than looking up your handicap and using that top get the classification? (Not seen the SAP tables before - the one I'd seen had class flowing from handicap.)

Suppose I shoot recurve barebow. 3 National rounds. Scoring 250 per round. That's a 2nd because 2nd is the highest a National gives. To get a 1st I'd have to shoot 3 long Nationals?

The second part is this - I assume that if I shoot 2 Nationals at 250, (250 = 2nd class) and one Warwick scoring 160 (which also = 2nd class), I get 2nd? I don't have to shoot the same round 3 times?

Correct, you do not have to shot the same rounds to achieve classification, but they do all have to be the same bow type.:cheerful: