Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To Click or not to Click.......

In the Blue
    Thanks

To Click or not to Click.......

I have been shooting for about two years, have been using a clicker with good effect, but still struggle to get the shot off quickly. Shooting outside on Sunday this was really noticable, if i managed to come upto draw, and pull the shot through then great, but i was struggling with the wind blustering around me, if i was up to long then i was dropping shots or could not hold on the target. i was shooting a gents FITA.

At 50 yards the wind was picking up and the score was going down so for the last end i thought i would shoot without the clicker and my score went up, once i had got used to it and the last distance was OK too. What was noticed was that i was drawing 1/2" further than when i use the clicker and stuggling, i am now confused, how come i struggle with 1/2" less draw and is it worth shooting without the clicker, how many good archers do? i realise it adds consistancy, but you have to be good to get benifit!

In the Gold
    Thanks
    You might be overdrawing/using arm muscles.
    Support British Bowyers!!!!

Soaring I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. TJ Mason's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ssoanes View Post
    What was noticed was that i was drawing 1/2" further than when i use the clicker and struggling, i am now confused, how come i struggle with 1/2" less draw
    Shot anticipation. You're slowing down, on tenterhooks waiting for the clicker to drop. This is a result of letting the clicker take control of the shot (which, unfortunately, is what a lot of "experts" advise you to do).

Move the clicker back 1/2" to where you were shooting well and treat the click as a signal that you've reached your optimum draw length. Then shoot a quarter second later when you're happy that you're on aim and everything's right. This isn't a quick and easy fix, BTW - bedding in such a change will take hundreds of practice shots.
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Soren Kierkegaard
    Club: Phoenix Bowmen, Halifax, County: Yorkshire

Thanks
    You ARE allowed to move your clicker to where you shoot comfortably, you know...

A clicker isn't essential to shoot well. It is however essential to shoot your best.
    archerywiki.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ Mason View Post
    Shot anticipation. You're slowing down, on tenterhooks waiting for the clicker to drop. This is a result of letting the clicker take control of the shot (which, unfortunately, is what a lot of "experts" advise you to do).

Move the clicker back 1/2" to where you were shooting well and treat the click as a signal that you've reached your optimum draw length. Then shoot a quarter second later when you're happy that you're on aim and everything's right. This isn't a quick and easy fix, BTW - bedding in such a change will take hundreds of practice shots.
    You are right about probably slowing down and locking up in anticipation of the shot. Its a problem I have to fight against. It may be also that the OP is drawing to the clicker, rather than setting the clicker at the right position for their draw length. However, pausing after the clicker has dropped is not the way to use one! When the clicker clicks, you either release on it or come down - no pause.

The way round the problem is to make sure the clicker is in the right place first. Then the last part of the draw - to anchor and then execution - should be one positive continuous motion. Doesnt need to be fast, though that can be effective, but you need to feel the power building up until it clicks, not slowing down and stopping. It gets much harder in the wind as you feel like you're being blown around all over and this stops you from carrying through the movement for fear of being off-target when the clicker drops, but IMHO you get better results from keeping the draw fluid and accepting a few shots will be blown off than locking up and trying to hold steady and struggling with the clicker. If the sight is blown way off centre when the clicker drops, you come down and try again. Its less tiring this way than holding for ages and trying to force the arrow through the clicker after having locked up at anchor. It takes practice of course, but is well worth it. It may turn out that shooting like this means the clicker is placed 1 or 2mm closer to you than before or it drops too quick - a sign that an archer maybe wasn't shooting with a continuous action before.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ssoanes View Post
    I have been shooting for about two years, have been using a clicker with good effect, but still struggle to get the shot off quickly.
    How long have you been using the clicker, and when was the last time you got someone to help you set its position?

It sounds like you've extended your natural draw length, but the clicker hasn't been moved to suit, so you've had to shorten your draw to match the clicker - this will always cause problems, as your body won't be in its natural full-draw position.

Get someone to watch where you draw the arrow to without the clicker (making sure they watch for a few arrows, not just the first one). So long as this is consistent, get them to set the clicker so there is 3-4mm (1/8 inch) to go when you reach full draw. You should find the clicker much easier to use there...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast