Clicker for a beginner

lorcant

Been shooting once a week since January. Guys in the club reckon I should get a clicker but they recommended I get one that mounts onto the sight bar and is adjustable. Anyone recommend a decent value one? Or should I just get my arrows cut to suit my draw length and get a normal clicker?

adrianms

It does make sense to get a sight bar clicker to begin with. I went straight to a bow mounted clicker & ended up cutting down the arrows by 2" down to 30" but after getting some heavy duty coaching, changed my grip, anchor point & stance resulting in a 30.5" draw & a set of arrows donated to the club beginners box.
Remember also when you cut arrows down the spine go's up making then a little stiffer, so adjustment via the button may well need a tweak also.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If you are being advised to get a sight mounted clicker, it sounds like your arrows are quite a bit longer than they need to be. That is not a bad thing, but shortening them for use with a normal clicker might mean removing so much that the shorter arrows are too stiff to match your bow.
An alternative could be a normal clicker fitted to a clicker plate. The plate extends the riser forwards so the clicker is fitted to it and clicks by striking it, like a normal clicker striking the riser. The plate can allow for a wide range of clicker positions, up to an inch or so beyond the riser. No good if your arrows are 3" beyond the riser at full draw, though.

lorcant

Thanks everybody for the replies. Can you recommend some good value clickers please? The ones that mount on the sight bar and the ones that use a clicker plate. Something below ?20 please, if possible Thanks

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
All the sight mounted ones seem to be over ?20. With a clicker plate a standard clicker can be used. A clicker plate is just a flat piece of ally with a right angle fold along one edge to allow it to be glued to the edge of the riser.
A basic clicker does the same thing as the expensive ones and some sound better too. I know some who have bought expensive carbon ones and can't hear them.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Lorcant, Looking at the link I think that fitting goes between the sight mount block and the riser, so it will be limited to using arrows with a slight overhang. The ones being advised at your club, I think are intended to fit to the sight extension bar and can be set as far forwards as 7" or more.
Clicker plates require a hole to put a screw through and then a nut on the back to fix it tight. A clicker plate with a tapped hole will require the right threaded screw. I would tend to use a screw and nut on the back so the hole is not threaded for a particular screw size.
I can make you a clicker plate. I can make you a clicker, but the steel will rust unless you keep it oiled. The clicker plate is really designed for a riser with a nice flat surface, the surface that faces the target when aiming.
Which bow/riser do you have?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
That riser has a curved front edge, so the stick on plate won't fit very well.
The SF magnetic clicker should fit. It looks like it fits between the sight mount block and riser so the screws that fix your sight block to the riser may be ok or may need to be longer if you use that. If you have a lot of overhang on your arrows the wire arm may need to be modified to reach forwards far enough.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I cannot say for sure, but my best answer is this. The sort that fixes to the sight extension bar will work, but cost over ?20
The SF will probably work, but may need to be modified slightly. If you are a handy person you could modify it yourself.If you have a handy person in your club they should be able to do any modifying.
If you lived near me I would make sure it worked. It looks as if the whole thing could be fitted to the sight extension bar, rather than the riser, again a handy person( yourself perhaps) would see how that can be done.
Yes the link is showing the SF I mentioned. The avalon on your link is a similar thing.

lorcant

Thanks, is there much of a difference between the avalon one and the SF one? Should I just get the SF as it will fit my riser better? Thanks for your advice. The guys in the club can modify it, is that a big job?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
They both look very similar regarding fitting to the riser. The Avalon has a wire arm with a double bend in it which means, by turning it round it can reach further forwards or further back. The SF is straight so will need to be tilted forwards or back like a standard blade type.
The type of modifying I am thinking of requires bending the wire to get the position right if it has to be moved forwards. The other mod requires some way of attaching the backing plate directly to the sight extension bar, if you need to go that way. That may require some extra holes in the plate to allow nuts and screws to be used to clamp it to the extension. What you don't want is the plate fixed to the sight extension in such a way that it can tilt up or down when in use as that will be changing the draw length of the clicker.
If you buy either of them and have any troubles, with the standard fitting, I should be able to make something to get it to fix solidly to the sight extension.

lorcant

Thanks, I might go for the avalon one, it sounds like it might be better suited if it can reach further forward or back. I don't know if the guys can make up plates or things like that if needed.
Then again, maybe it just a safer bet to get one that attaches onto the sight bar???

fbirder

The two SF risers I've ones have both had a cylindrical clicker extension. They came supplied with it separate in the box - a rounded cylinder about 1cm long.

Ive just switched to some ACG arrows that extend about 3 cm in front of the clicker extension. I use a Mybo Crescent Mybo Crescent Clicker from Merlin Archery Ltd that fixes a common problem with using a blade clicker with long arrows. The crescent bit means that it's easier to get close to a 90? angle between blade and point. And it's only ?7.50

lorcant

Just checked the small box that came with the SF riser, there's only a button and arrow rest in it.
I'm a bit clueless about clickers so I might just ask the guys in the club on Thursday which one I should get. No point getting the wrong one.