Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Discuss delamination of a limb at the Recurve Bow within Archery Interchange UK Forums; Hi, I have been asked by a fellow archer if i could ask a question ...
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Question delamination of a limb

Hi, I have been asked by a fellow archer if i could ask a question to the forum.
    In the past 2 weeks we have seen 3 sets of limbs delaminated, One at a club night (W+W) and two at the county weekend shoot (W+W & Hoyt G3). All the limbs delaminated in the same way - on the lower limb. The one that i had a look at looked like the glue line had gone.
    What he wants to know is if there are any other archers that have had the same problem and are the manufactures aware that there is possibly a problem with there limbs
    the man who gives in when he is wrong.....is wise; the man who gives in when he is right .... is married.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the Gold I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot. Kellog's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    thats a shocking number.

I've seen a longbow go, and I've seen old limbs that have delaminated but I've never seen them actually go.

As far as the G3's go, phone Hoyt... they may well want them to see what happened/replace them
    "Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Could this be a hot weather issue? Are these people leaving their gear in hot cars perhaps, and the glue is going soft in the heat?
    Only dead fish go with the flow!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    No manufacturer has ever made an infallible limb. Not one. It's impossible.

Some break more than others - some variants of the Hoyt C+, early W&W XQ1s, etc.

I'm sure you can find examples of any limb breaking if you look hard enough. I'm equally sure that the manufacturers keep track of problems reported to them.

In the Gold I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot. Kellog's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffish
    Could this be a hot weather issue? Are these people leaving their gear in hot cars perhaps, and the glue is going soft in the heat?
    Possibly.

I was told never to leave my bow in a car because it could cause the limbs to either delaminate or snap.

But it seems highly unusaual for 1 club to suffer this 3 times in 2 weeks
    "Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die"

Prince Of Dorkness I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Tarkwin's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    A G3 developed a crack through the laminates at a comp I was at the other weekend.

contacting the manufacturer may be the quickest way of getting a response, though one of our tame ( ) retailers may be able to give us an indication of how many they've seen with similar issues.

T.
    .... - - .--. ---... -..-. -..-. .- .-. -.-. .... . .-. -.-- .-.-.- - .- .-. -.- -. . - .-.-.- --- .-. --. .-.-.- ..- -.-

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffish
    Thats what we all thought, it did get to 30/32 on the Sunday but the first one went last week when it was not to hot.
    the man who gives in when he is wrong.....is wise; the man who gives in when he is right .... is married.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK
    No manufacturer has ever made an infallible limb. Not one. It's impossible.

Some break more than others - some variants of the Hoyt C+, early W&W XQ1s, etc.

I'm sure you can find examples of any limb breaking if you look hard enough. I'm equally sure that the manufacturers keep track of problems reported to them.
    Yes I agree (i have a merlin compound ) I think what he was trying to find out is which ones are braking more than others (a chance for some one to do a poll!!)

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bowman104
    Hi, I have been asked by a fellow archer if i could ask a question to the forum.
    In the past 2 weeks we have seen 3 sets of limbs delaminated, One at a club night (W+W) and two at the county weekend shoot (W+W & Hoyt G3). All the limbs delaminated in the same way - on the lower limb. The one that i had a look at looked like the glue line had gone.
    What he wants to know is if there are any other archers that have had the same problem and are the manufactures aware that there is possibly a problem with there limbs
    Both the same sort of W&W limbs...? 2 incidents isn't really enough to draw conclusions from in any case. It's not possible to say 'there is a problem with the limbs' without more data. If on the other hand you're talking about limbs with known problems (W&W XQ1s for example) that's a different situation...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Dodgy Limbs

Hrmmm that is indeed a first for me, Ive never heard of limbs delaminating, Ihave seen limbs with cracks but then that was due to dry firing the bow and they were hoyt fx limbs, and apart from that I have seen a number of compound bows that had a fracture in the riser (hoyt, merlin and martin), but these were usually as a result of high poundage stress.

SVL
    In the Gold I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award. SVL's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Just for curosity what exactly does a delaminated limb look like
    Do you have any pictures ?
    If it does not feel right ..... don't shoot it, start again and do it right.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot. simon m's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Steve's limb broke at full draw, bottom limb cracked through three layers of laminate about an inch below the pocket end.

That was thursday.

And when i visited the county shoot sunday I was told of two more.

Also i have heard from someone who's seen three others this last six week period.

Bowman104 i could have been stood next to you and i wouldn't have known! Sorry.

Although i was looking at all the merlin compounds (cause i just got one)
    Hunting Custard........

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rik
    Both the same sort of W&W limbs...? 2 incidents isn't really enough to draw conclusions from in any case. It's not possible to say 'there is a problem with the limbs' without more data. If on the other hand you're talking about limbs with known problems (W&W XQ1s for example) that's a different situation...
    Hi Rik, the 1st one was Pat`s and one of the two at the county champs was Robbie`s. I know they were W&W 2005. Will give them a ring and find out if they are the same make. What was the prob with XQ1s then?

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot. simon m's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    I know steve's were w&w's but there only three months old...dunno the exact model
    Hunting Custard........

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simon m
    Steve's limb broke at full draw, bottom limb cracked through three layers of laminate about an inch below the pocket end.

That was thursday.

And when i visited the county shoot sunday I was told of two more.

Also i have heard from someone who's seen three others this last six week period.

Bowman104 i could have been stood next to you and i wouldn't have known! Sorry.

Although i was looking at all the merlin compounds (cause i just got one)
    It sounds like the same thing. I was the winer of the compound gents,(a nother one from H.C.A) way down in the corner on target 2 (at least we had a bit of shade to stand under )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast