delamination of a limb

bowman104

Hi, I have been asked by a fellow archer if i could ask a question to the forum.
In the past 2 weeks we have seen 3 sets of limbs delaminated, One at a club night (W+W) and two at the county weekend shoot (W+W & Hoyt G3). All the limbs delaminated in the same way - on the lower limb. The one that i had a look at looked like the glue line had gone.:thumbsdow
What he wants to know is if there are any other archers that have had the same problem and are the manufactures aware that there is possibly a problem with there limbs

Kellog

The American
American Shoot
thats a shocking number.

I've seen a longbow go, and I've seen old limbs that have delaminated but I've never seen them actually go.

As far as the G3's go, phone Hoyt... they may well want them to see what happened/replace them

Ffish

Could this be a hot weather issue? Are these people leaving their gear in hot cars perhaps, and the glue is going soft in the heat?

JohnK

No manufacturer has ever made an infallible limb. Not one. It's impossible.

Some break more than others - some variants of the Hoyt C+, early W&W XQ1s, etc.

I'm sure you can find examples of any limb breaking if you look hard enough. I'm equally sure that the manufacturers keep track of problems reported to them.

Kellog

The American
American Shoot
Ffish said:
Could this be a hot weather issue? Are these people leaving their gear in hot cars perhaps, and the glue is going soft in the heat?
Possibly.

I was told never to leave my bow in a car because it could cause the limbs to either delaminate or snap.

But it seems highly unusaual for 1 club to suffer this 3 times in 2 weeks

Tarkwin

Prince Of Dorkness
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
A G3 developed a crack through the laminates at a comp I was at the other weekend.

contacting the manufacturer may be the quickest way of getting a response, though one of our tame ( :) ) retailers may be able to give us an indication of how many they've seen with similar issues.

T.

bowman104

Ffish said:
Thats what we all thought, it did get to 30/32 on the Sunday but the first one went last week when it was not to hot.

bowman104

JohnK said:
No manufacturer has ever made an infallible limb. Not one. It's impossible.

Some break more than others - some variants of the Hoyt C+, early W&W XQ1s, etc.

I'm sure you can find examples of any limb breaking if you look hard enough. I'm equally sure that the manufacturers keep track of problems reported to them.
Yes I agree (i have a merlin compound:muted: ) I think what he was trying to find out is which ones are braking more than others (a chance for some one to do a poll!!)

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
bowman104 said:
Hi, I have been asked by a fellow archer if i could ask a question to the forum.
In the past 2 weeks we have seen 3 sets of limbs delaminated, One at a club night (W+W) and two at the county weekend shoot (W+W & Hoyt G3). All the limbs delaminated in the same way - on the lower limb. The one that i had a look at looked like the glue line had gone.:thumbsdow
What he wants to know is if there are any other archers that have had the same problem and are the manufactures aware that there is possibly a problem with there limbs
Both the same sort of W&W limbs...? 2 incidents isn't really enough to draw conclusions from in any case. It's not possible to say 'there is a problem with the limbs' without more data. If on the other hand you're talking about limbs with known problems (W&W XQ1s for example) that's a different situation...

J

jojo

Dodgy Limbs

Hrmmm that is indeed a first for me, Ive never heard of limbs delaminating, Ihave seen limbs with cracks but then that was due to dry firing the bow and they were hoyt fx limbs, and apart from that I have seen a number of compound bows that had a fracture in the riser (hoyt, merlin and martin), but these were usually as a result of high poundage stress.

SVL

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Just for curosity what exactly does a delaminated limb look like
Do you have any pictures ?

simon m

Ironman
Steve's limb broke at full draw, bottom limb cracked through three layers of laminate about an inch below the pocket end.

That was thursday.

And when i visited the county shoot sunday I was told of two more.

Also i have heard from someone who's seen three others this last six week period.

Bowman104 i could have been stood next to you and i wouldn't have known! Sorry.

Although i was looking at all the merlin compounds (cause i just got one)

bowman104

Rik said:
Both the same sort of W&W limbs...? 2 incidents isn't really enough to draw conclusions from in any case. It's not possible to say 'there is a problem with the limbs' without more data. If on the other hand you're talking about limbs with known problems (W&W XQ1s for example) that's a different situation...
Hi Rik, the 1st one was Pat`s and one of the two at the county champs was Robbie`s. I know they were W&W 2005. Will give them a ring and find out if they are the same make. What was the prob with XQ1s then?

bowman104

simon m said:
Steve's limb broke at full draw, bottom limb cracked through three layers of laminate about an inch below the pocket end.

That was thursday.

And when i visited the county shoot sunday I was told of two more.

Also i have heard from someone who's seen three others this last six week period.

Bowman104 i could have been stood next to you and i wouldn't have known! Sorry.

Although i was looking at all the merlin compounds (cause i just got one)
It sounds like the same thing. I was the winer of the compound gents,(a nother one from H.C.A) way down in the corner on target 2 (at least we had a bit of shade to stand under:faint: )

simon m

Ironman
Congrats on the win by thw way. I didn't venture down much further than the right of middle (berkobowmen gazebo). Saw Barry who told me he was shooting very mediocrely (is that a word?) , chatted to Clive and some others and helped move a few ladies targets at lunch.

bowman104

simon m said:
Congrats on the win by thw way. I didn't venture down much further than the right of middle (berkobowmen gazebo). Saw Barry who told me he was shooting very mediocrely (is that a word?) , chatted to Clive and some others and helped move a few ladies targets at lunch.
Thanks I think i did the same, but it was a bit of a sprint after taking on a lot of water, thankfully there was no Q at the loo!
:eye-poppi :running: :cheerful:

Robbie Robinson

Limb failure

Hi,

I asked the shop that I bought the limbs from just about the same question this moirning, then thought I'd look on this site too. I didn't know that you had been asked to ask the general question. After it happened yesterday just about everyone I spoke to knew of a similar case. I think the three we know about is just the tip of the iceberg.

Robbie

Robbie Robinson

Limb Failure

Hi Brian,

I just went back through the mail and saw Rik's question. Both sets of W+W were synerzy, almost identical age. Pat's 36lb mine 38lb, both failures look identical. I don't keep my bow in the car, I heard someone had one stolen doing that...................., and anyway the hot part of the weekend was spent on the line!

If you should spot 'two top quality w+w limbs' for sale on ebay don't make a bid, they might not be described as what you first think - like limb savers.....

simon m

Ironman
Yeah steves were 40lb limbs three months old

Did yours crack right across the limb about an inch or so down from the pocket fitting? on the inside?