CLICK TO REGISTER FOR THE AIUK IRONMAN
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Discuss Difficulty Changing from Corner of Mouth - Bare Bow to Under Chin Olympic Style at the Recurve Bow within Archery Interchange Forums; I have been shooting Trad for many years and started shooting Bare Bow a few ...
    In the White AIUK subscriber.
    Thanks

Difficulty Changing from Corner of Mouth - Bare Bow to Under Chin Olympic Style

I have been shooting Trad for many years and started shooting Bare Bow a few months ago. I have always wanted to give Olympic Style Recurve a try.

Traditional and Bare Bow:
    25" Riser
    Medium limbs = 68 inch bow
    40 to 42 pounds OTF
    28 inch DL
    Anchor corner of Mouth Middle Finger

Olympic Bow
    25" Riser
    40 pounds OTF
    Medium limbs
    28 inch DL
    Anchor Under Chin with String on Chin and Nose

It feels like I am pulling lot more weight or using totally different muscle group. I can't believe it feels so difficult.

What could I be doing wrong. Or do I need to keep at it and build up to the weight? Maybe lighter limbs are in order to help learn form!

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the Gold
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by f_thomas View Post
    I have been shooting Trad for many years and started shooting Bare Bow a few months ago. I have always wanted to give Olympic Style Recurve a try.

Traditional and Bare Bow:
    25" Riser
    Medium limbs = 68 inch bow
    40 to 42 pounds OTF
    28 inch DL
    Anchor corner of Mouth Middle Finger

Olympic Bow
    25" Riser
    40 pounds OTF
    Medium limbs
    28 inch DL
    Anchor Under Chin with String on Chin and Nose

It feels like I am pulling lot more weight or using totally different muscle group. I can't believe it feels so difficult.

What could I be doing wrong. Or do I need to keep at it and build up to the weight? Maybe lighter limbs are in order to help learn form!
    I realize you're not a beginner, but one of the issues we've found with our beginners changing from barebow to olympic style, is that the string is a couple of inches further forwards (front of the chin rather than drawn to the cheek) and this reduces the draw length which results in the archer not being able to engage their shoulders properly (draw elbow further forwards and not properly "in" the bow)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ben tarrow For This Useful Post:

f_thomas (08-04-17)

Thanks
    Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. It does feel like I am only partially drawing the bow and trying to hold it midway with just my arm. Shooting Trad or Bare Bow I get to anchor and I have no problems holding at anchor and then completing the shot with my back. I get totally "inside the bow" if that makes sense. I can bring the string to my chest and hold it before releasing.

Now how to get inside the bow with under the chin anchor. I have to wrap my mind around that one and get a mental picture of the angles.

In the Black AIUK subscriber.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ben tarrow View Post
    I realize you're not a beginner, but one of the issues we've found with our beginners changing from barebow to olympic style, is that the string is a couple of inches further forwards (front of the chin rather than drawn to the cheek) and this reduces the draw length which results in the archer not being able to engage their shoulders properly (draw elbow further forwards and not properly "in" the bow)
    OP - having shot both styles (but the other way round to you so, Olympic first then trad style) as a general statement you're not doing anything wrong per se. I'd agree with Bens observations and even go a little further to say that just that small change in anchor does mean you are using slightly different but very closely situated muscle groups to what you are used to. You may need to try and expand your chest a bit more to help engage those back muscles but you should be able to adjust fairly rapidly though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Sun For This Useful Post:

f_thomas (08-04-17)

Thanks
    Thanks Black Sun! I had decided not to give up and to push through and figure this out. I think it will also help if I get some adult supervision (coaching)!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to f_thomas For This Useful Post:

Black Sun (08-04-17)

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    One thing you might be doing that could make you feel the draw weight has gone up, is leaving your head position as it was for side of face anchor. Then , when you draw under your chin, you are drawing closer to your neck and ending up with the draw elbow sticking out of line. Just like making a shorter draw than usual, as others have said.

One thing you might want to try, to see if that is what's happening, is to draw to your barebow anchor then turn your head slightly away from the target until your chin( without moving the hand)ends up in contact with the string. You may find you lift your chin, too, to get it above the draw fingers.
    If any of that makes things easier, you might want to try that a few times until the string hand reaches the part of your chin that you want, by positioning the head first and letting the draw remain much the same as it was. Once you get used to that, it might feel more natural to make the transition.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to geoffretired For This Useful Post:

f_thomas (08-04-17)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast