Limbs Fiber foam limbs vs carbon limbs.

doomie22

Hi all,

I have got my girlfriend two sets of limbs. 1 are kap windstorm limbs 64"@ 36lb and kap carbon windstorm limbs 64" @ 36lb. Both short limbs. If we put them on her bow and measure the lb on her draw length the carbon ones comes out at 28lb and the standard ones at 32lb. I cannot understand why the carbons come out so much lower. Does anyone know anything about carbon vs fiber limbs and why they are lower?

Thanks,

Neil

English Bowman

I suspect that you have just got mis measured limbs. When I used to work at Quicks we used to measure every set of limbs before they left the shop. They were often wrong, particularly at the lower end of the market. One comment that was made was that if a manufacturer was short of say a 36lbs set of limbs to complete an order, but had a spare set of 32lbs they would mark the 32s up as 36 and send them anyway. I don't know if that's true or not, but that was one person's theory. There were three manufacturers which I never saw a mis-measured set of limbs from. Yamaha Marksman and Border. I only saw a few Hoyts that were out, but the Korean bows were often out. Mind you this was in the late '80s early 90s so things may well have changed since then.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
In theory limbs with the same marked weight should be no more than a couple of pounds different, On the same setup. In the extreme case.
So one or the other (or both) of the sets of limbs is probably mis-marked.

lbp121

Sadly the answer is they wouldn't if the limbs were high end limbs. The addition of carbon may make limbs lighter in physical weight but if a draw length is specified, the limbs should match the given weight at a given draw length.
All my old Marksman limbs, and all the Border limbs i have seen have weighed within 1/2lb of the spec written on the limb.
The best thing is to use the limb marking as a guide only and check the actual weight on an accurate gauge. A discrepancy of this level i would consider unacceptable even on a low end limb if buying new.

hawmjans

Hi all,

I have got my girlfriend two sets of limbs. 1 are kap windstorm limbs 64"@ 36lb and kap carbon windstorm limbs 64" @ 36lb. Both short limbs. If we put them on her bow and measure the lb on her draw length the carbon ones comes out at 28lb and the standard ones at 32lb. I cannot understand why the carbons come out so much lower. Does anyone know anything about carbon vs fiber limbs and why they are lower?

Thanks,

Neil
What is your girlfriend's actual draw-length?

For short limbs I thought the nominal weight is measured at 27".
Maybe the power curve vs draw-length are very different for both limbs.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter

For short limbs I thought the nominal weight is measured at 27".
Not on normal limbs, they are all marked (nominally) at 28 inches, regardless of whether short, medium or long.
That's 28 AMO, of course so, about 26.25 to the pivot point/button.

I've seen junior bows marked for shorter draw lengths...

Valkamai

That's what i thought of as well, check the limbs at 28 inches. If they don't measure as marked then contact the supplier. Not their fault as they didn't actually make the limbs but they should help you as the goods have technically been mis sold.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2