FiberBow Riser

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I am getting on in years and I am finding, particularly indoors, my bow arm is getting fatigued as the time between ends is quite short (when compared to outdoor shooting). I have weighed my kit and it comes out at nearly 6lb. I have a GMX riser which weighs 2.6lb. I am considering getting a lighter riser. I have been looking at the FiberBow riser which only weighs 630 grams. Before I 'splash the cash' I would be interested in hearing the views of archers that have used this make of riser and their experiences with it.

Happy new year.

buzz lite beer

They are very light risers indeed, however some owners have experienced quite a bit of wear in the limb dovetail area leading to sloppy limb fit and alignment issues, other light weight alternatives though not quite as light as the FibreBow include the W&W RCX-100 and the Rapido at 1100g Mybo Rio 1020g Mybo Wave 1130g Hoyt Horizon Pro 1088g Hoyt Horizon 1070g

blakey

We've had a few in our club. I had one myself for a while. They are a very nice riser but as Buzz says they do wear in the pockets. Our member who has stayed with them leaves his set up with the limbs in and never takes it down. I think if I wanted lightness I might go with the Mybo now. You could also consider going to barebow. It requires considerably less weight, as long and side rods are illegal. Good luck. :)

ben tarrow

I bought a fiberbow riser for exactly the same reason as the OP. I too went BB.
Had it 18 months now without any problem.
I love it

buzz lite beer

They have done 8 repairs not a huge amount by any means, and have also refused to do any more, I've seen just two bows with these issues one quite recently that was used by an international shooter, again not a lot. hopefully these issues are all in the past

blakey

They have done 8 repairs not a huge amount by any means, and have also refused to do any more, I've seen just two bows with these issues one quite recently that was used by an international shooter, again not a lot. hopefully these issues are all in the past
I like the riser, but as the dovetail pockets are carbon resin, and the detente buttons on most limbs are steel, then there is going to be wear on the pockets as the limbs are taken out and pushed in. To me the logical thing for the company to do would be insert metal female dovetail pockets. Which is basically what I believe the Border repairs did. This however would increase the weight of the riser. Something the company is apparently loathe to do. It's a good riser, and as I said previously most wear issues would be reduced by simply leaving the limbs in. :)

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Well. There are some really interesting answers to my original question and very much appreciated. I suspected that a metal detente pin would gouge a groove in a carbon resin limb pocket, not a good engineering principle. I did not realise that some risers suffered the degree of wear that has been experienced by some owners. All the manufacturers had to do, as has been suggested, was to make a metal insert for the limb pocket. If they were really concerned about the weight increase, which they should not have been, they could always make them out of 'Titanium'! I am now wondering whether or not to purchase one. If I could get one secondhand and at an acceptable price, I might risk it, but I would want to know why it was being sold! I have removed the side stabilizers etc from my bow and the fatigue problem is a lot less troublesome, so it is definitely down to setup weight. In the meantime I will look at some of the other risers that have been suggested.

Thanks a lot.

T

the-poet

Got to agree with whitehart here, i remember when border were modifying these risers and in every instance it was to accommodate their own limbs.

Draw your own conclusions from that.

Alicat

I've been using the fiberbow 6.3 for 2 years with no problems, though I only shoot 2 or 3 times a week. I use Uukha limbs. I shoot barebow and have a 200g weight in the stab bushing.
Alicat

RichParker

The Border posts seem to reference the 5.99 model rather than the newer 6.3, that said I bought a second hand 5.99 a couple of years ago and got plenty of good use with it and no problems with twisting or loose limbs, as Whitehart said one problem I had now and again was getting the limbs out.

I moved to an Uukha set-up so sold the Fiberbow to a fellow club member who also found his set-up too heavy and they are not having issues, we also have another Fiberbow shooter at the club (they have the newer 6.3) and they have never mentioned anything.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Got to agree with whitehart here, i remember when border were modifying these risers and in every instance it was to accommodate their own limbs.

Draw your own conclusions from that.
Er, that people with other makes of limbs wouldn't be asking Border...? :)

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
As said earlier, going barebow removes a lot of weight. Or you could get a longbow, flatbow or horsebow. Comparatively speaking they weigh almost nothing.

ajh499

I am getting on in years and I am finding, particularly indoors, my bow arm is getting fatigued as the time between ends is quite short (when compared to outdoor shooting). I have weighed my kit and it comes out at nearly 6lb. I have a GMX riser which weighs 2.6lb. I am considering getting a lighter riser. I have been looking at the FiberBow riser which only weighs 630 grams. Before I 'splash the cash' I would be interested in hearing the views of archers that have used this make of riser and their experiences with it.

Happy new year.
Albatross, I have a Fiberbow 5.99 that I have been planning to sell for a while, there's very little wear in the limb pockets. The main difficulty is in getting the limbs out sometimes.

The limb fit is in fact tighter than my brand new riser, the only reason for selling it is that as a freestyle recurve setup, I score better with my other riser, and there's no point me having two.

PM me if you'd be interested

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Alison

As said earlier, going barebow removes a lot of weight. Or you could get a longbow, flatbow or horsebow. Comparatively speaking they weigh almost nothing.
Not only can you reduce the weight of the bow if you go barebow, you can also reduce the poundage and still be able to hit the target. OK, maybe your scores will be less, but it's a lot more fun!
And as for the weight of a longbow, out of interest I've just weighed mine - 415g. I can comfortably carry it on my little finger.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I agree about the weights of longbow and barebow. I shoot a longbow without any 'setup weight problems'. But I do like to get regular decent scores, that is why I also shoot recurve, my longbow is just for 'fun shooting'.

Landsend

I bought a Fiberbow about 9 months ago. I started shooting 2 years ago with a Hoyt Horizon and wanted to upgrade, but also to get something lighter. I'm 58 now, and my shoulder aches a lot from judo injuries I got 30 years ago. I love my Fiberbow and would't swap it. Its fairly basic. You can upgrade the bolts to one where you can set the tiller independently of the limb poundage. I bought two of these bolts and they cost me ?100, so the optional bits and pieces are expensive - but as a bit of kit the Fiberbow an excellent riser. I can't see why on earth anyone would want a riser weighing at least twice as much. Another guy in our club has also got a fiberbow for exactly the same reasons, and I know he is very happy with it too.