Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Discuss Finger position on drawing bow at the Recurve Bow within Archery Interchange UK Forums; Hi I would just like to ask members their opinion on something. Im new to ...
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Finger position on drawing bow

Hi

I would just like to ask members their opinion on something.

Im new to archery having done a days archery experience in Kent and becoming totally addicted! On that day we had the briefest of instruction before getting "stuck in" and we were told when drawing the bow string to put one finger above and 2 below the arrow.

I started a beginners archery course last night and interestingly we were told to put all 3 fingers below the arrow when drawing. I appeared to have a problem doing this as kept going to put one finger above and the instructor said to me that we start with 3 below then go to two fingers below the arrow but never one above.

What is the general concensus on finger position on the bow string when drawing? Am just wondering what is the "correct" text book method and what is the most common method.

Thanks for your views!

Witchie Poo Cat

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    I think you'll find that as a learner, you're taught only for the first lesson to draw the arrow with all 3 fingers under the arrow. This is probably because you were "sighting" by looking along the length of the arrow, and not actually using a bow sight at all.

Once you progress onto using a sight, the standard way of shooting is as you've already described, with your index finder ABOVE the arrow, and your middle and ring fingers below the arrrow. Your thumb and little finger should be tucked out of the way into your palm. Kind of like making the 3-fingered (Boy Scouts) salute.
    Only dead fish go with the flow!

Soaring I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. TJ Mason's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    The "three fingers below" technique is one that we're encouraged to start beginners with. It's a useful technique when shooting without a sight, since it brings the arrow closer to the eye.

The Mediterranean hold -- one finger above, two below -- is what we use when target shooting, since it's the better technique when using a sight.

There's some controversy about which technique should be taught to beginners -- whether there's any point teaching the "three below" hold and then dropping it and teaching the Mediterranean hold. See this thread, for example:
    http://www.archery-interchange.com/f...?t=1681&page=4
    (starting with Rik's post, 4 down).
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Soren Kierkegaard
    Club: Phoenix Bowmen, Halifax, County: Yorkshire

In the Red
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    I suspect they are asking you to do the "simple" thing first in order to get arms and shoulders correctly positioned first and then progress onto (seemingly) more difficult things later?

Top finger in corner of your mouth and point the tip of the arrow at the gold?
    That is a standard "have-a-go" method for sefety and ease of shot - also gives you a feel for just another form of shooting later on perhaps.

Don't loose sleep over it, by the end of your course you will be shooting like a trooper if you are as keen as you appear in forums. All trainers/coaches have their own spin on how and when to teach things.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    This is quite odd and suggests that you are being taught a barebow style using string walking to 'aim'.

One finger above and two below is more conventional.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies guys. Having read the thread linked in TJs reply I see that this is the standard way of teaching beginners and will be progressing to the 1 above 2 below in a week or so.

The organisers did ask if anyone had done any archery before and perhaps because most were totally new to it (having only done one day of archery myself) they didnt explain the finger thing as assumed we wouldnt know any different anyway.

Im just one of those that has to know why!! lol Appreciate the replies, many thanks.

Witchie Poo Cat

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchie Poo Cat
    What is the general concensus on finger position on the bow string when drawing? Am just wondering what is the "correct" text book method and what is the most common method.
    the 'textbook method' varies with differnt styles of shooting.
    For barebow (no sight, stabilisers etc) 3 fingers under is probably the most common.
    For target shooting, 2 under, 1 over is considered correct (with variations like 1 over, 1 under, or very little weight on the 'over' finger - but that's more than you need to know at the mo...).
    However, the most recent coaching guidance has been to start people off with 3 fingers under. I've given my opinion of that elsewhere .

In the Gold I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Rik,

I haven't read your "opinion elsewhere", but from the tone of your comment, it sounds like yours and my opinion of current GNAS coaching practise is similar!
    You're only young once, but you can be immature for as long as you wish ___________________

Soaring I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. TJ Mason's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffT
    Rik,

I haven't read your "opinion elsewhere", but from the tone of your comment, it sounds like yours and my opinion of current GNAS coaching practise is similar!
    Follow the link I gave! Goes to Rik's opinion.
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Soren Kierkegaard

In the Gold I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link........yes I agree with Rik...........I also think beginners should be taught to use a clicker shortly after the 6 weeks..........but that another thread !
    You're only young once, but you can be immature for as long as you wish ___________________

Kae
    It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot. Kae's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchie Poo Cat
    Hi

I would just like to ask members their opinion on something.

Im new to archery having done a days archery experience in Kent and becoming totally addicted! On that day we had the briefest of instruction before getting "stuck in" and we were told when drawing the bow string to put one finger above and 2 below the arrow.

I started a beginners archery course last night and interestingly we were told to put all 3 fingers below the arrow when drawing. I appeared to have a problem doing this as kept going to put one finger above and the instructor said to me that we start with 3 below then go to two fingers below the arrow but never one above.

Thanks for your views!

Witchie Poo Cat

This is another reason I don't agree with the GNAS coaching scheme. I have never believed in teaching one technique, then changing it a week later!?!
    Just do as your told for now, unfortunatley, then do it right when they let you.
    If all else fails... Panic!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

[Ahem] Can I just jump in here?

Look at things like this..

We are not dealing with Olympic archers...
    We are not dealing with established archers...
    We are not teaching Korean style here...

We are dealing wth raw beginners.

When you learn something new there is so much to take in. Trying to get the shoulder position, arm position, draw force line etc etc etc..

Now give a brand new archer a Mediterranean hold... First thing that will happen is that the fingers will touch the arrow, and it will come off the rest. This happens often enough and the archer gets fed up, and frustrated, and doesn't come back next time. OK yes, you can teach the beginner to get it right, but if you give the archer one less thing to think about then life is a little easier. And if you stick on one point of technique which is difficult to master, then archery becomes a chore.

Once you have basic form sorted out, and go to Olympic recurve style, then the change shouldn't be that difficult. The "three fingers under" is a short term thing.

When I was learning to ride a motorcycle, about fifteen years ago, I was told to stay in the middle of my lane at all times. When I did the IAM course, I was taught how to move about the road for better visibility, ie on the outside of corners to maximise the view (but never over the dividing line). The technique I was taught at the beginning was designed to get me through the test. The techniques I was taught by the IAM help me to make "good progress", safely.

It's the same in a lot of other areas, beginners are taught techniques which get them through the initial stages, and then get taught new techniques which bring them on.
    Meddler. n. an officious annoying person who interferes with others.
    Some people have something to say. Others have to say something...

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddler
    Look at things like this..

We are not dealing with Olympic archers...
    We are not dealing with established archers...
    We are not teaching Korean style here...
    Well, we should be... to some extent.
    We are dealing wth raw beginners.

When you learn something new there is so much to take in. Trying to get the shoulder position, arm position, draw force line etc etc etc..

Now give a brand new archer a Mediterranean hold... First thing that will happen is that the fingers will touch the arrow, and it will come off the rest.
    That happens, sometimes. Call it one in ten people has a problem here. So we tailor the scheme to fit the 10%?
    Is it better to do a 'new thing' with a beginner when it's all new? Or let them establish habits, then have to change them? This is a serious question, not argument. I'd be interested in any studies that have been done in this area.
    This happens often enough and the archer gets fed up, and frustrated, and doesn't come back next time. OK yes, you can teach the beginner to get it right, but if you give the archer one less thing to think about then life is a little easier. And if you stick on one point of technique which is difficult to master, then archery becomes a chore.

Once you have basic form sorted out, and go to Olympic recurve style, then the change shouldn't be that difficult. The "three fingers under" is a short term thing.
    Key words 'short term thing' why teach someone something, just to change it?
    Yes, one finger over, two under is a new thing to learn, but so is three fingers under. So let's give people a new thing to learn, then change it for another new thing...? If you can give me evidence that this is really a better way to approach it (rather than just the current fashion) I'd be grateful.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    I have seen many beginers who shoot for a while without sight who have had trouble going to a one over two under. and I am sure that they wouyld have a lot better if they been taught that way from the begining.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Tee
    I have seen many beginers who shoot for a while without sight who have had trouble going to a one over two under. and I am sure that they wouyld have a lot better if they been taught that way from the begining.
    Out of 42 beginners so far this year, I've not seen one who had a problem with this transition. Starting with three fingers under is working well for us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast